1. Default First Summer Solo Roadtrip!!!

Hey all, I'm new to RTA, but am excited to have found the site. I just turned 19 and am planning a solo roadtrip this summer once school is over. I am completely new to this, but I want to go from Philadelphia to San Francisco and back in two weeks. I was thinking, to maximize my experiences, of doing I-80 to SF, getting on I-5 down to Los Angeles, then Route 66 back to Chicago and finish up on I-80. Is this way too optimistic of a plan to do in two weeks? As the time approaches, I am getting kind of nervous about it too, but I am for sure going to do it! What do you all think about this route? Thanks, Matt

Default That's a Lot of Time to Sit

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The short answer to your basic question is that, yes, you can do Philadelphia to San Francisco to Los Angeles to home in two weeks. But you will have to drive many miles (425!) each and every day. You'll have not much time to really see anything in any depth. Another minor problem is that US-66 doesn't exist anymore. It has been officially decommissioned and physically replaced in large measure by I-40 and I-44. While sections of the old road still exist even following its course on the Interstates would add another 200 miles to an already strained trip. So while it would be possible to do the trip you have in mind, it would require that you be very comfortable driving fairly long distances on a daily basis and know that you'll enjoy it. What happens if you manage to drag yourself to the west coast trying to convince yourself that you're having all the fun you're supposed to be having, only to find yourself tired, sore, and miserable? You'd still have to make the return trip. I really think you should try something on a significantly smaller scale for your first major RoadTrip such as Florida, the Great Lakes, Atlantic Canada, or the Gulf Coast. I think you'll find such a trip much more enjoyable than just marathon driving.

AZBuck

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

[QUOTE=AZBuck;59128. I really think you should try something on a significantly smaller scale for your first major RoadTrip such as Florida, the Great Lakes, Atlantic Canada, or the Gulf Coast. I think you'll find such a trip much more enjoyable than just marathon driving.

AZBuck[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Road tripping is a great thing, but you need to give yourself time to enjoy the drive. If there is something to see, stop and check it out. I would also recommend getting off the interstates from time to time.

My wife and I never make reservations at motels as we never know when we might get delayed checking something out in more detail.

It took us over two weeks just to cruise Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica.

I wish I had gotten into road trips at your age. Until a few years ago, the idea was to get to my destinationa s fast as possible. Half the fun, perhaps even more, is the trip there.

4. Default

Thanks for the advice, it's back to the drawing board for now...