Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PARKS by RV or by CAR

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any advice.
    My wife and I are planning a 3-week trip from July 29th to August19th.
    It will be a loop
    DENVER -ROCKY MOUNTAIN-CHEYENNE-RUSHMORE-DEADWOOD-CODY-YELLOWSTONE-JACKSON HOLE-BRYCE CANYON-ZION-GRAND CANYON-LAKE POWELL-ANTILOPE CANYON-MESAVERDE-DURANGO-DENVER

First doubt is: better an RV or a car??
    The estimated cost for RV is about 4500 US$ so it would be more expensive than a car (estimated cost 1200 US$) + hotel (21 nights estimated cost 1500US$ for the 2 of us) we will save something for the food but anyway the difference is big.

During high season is so difficult to find an hotel (especially in the parks like yellowstone ) to justify the price difference??

thanks to anyone

hello there and welcome
    really it's down to "life style" choice as to whats better,i for one love the whole r.v. adventure but others will prefer the "creature comforts" of hotels. in your estimations have you allowed for the difference in mpg,because the extra fuel cost will be considerable with your mileage and will wipe out any savings on food and then some.having said that,if you want to stay in the parks i think you will find the accomodations dearer than you have estimated,but not sure so best check. you will also need to book either option early in the parks as they get booked up this time of year. it's a tough choice but ours was made easier by the fact there were four of us that swung the costs more evenly and made it an easy choice for us to go the r.v. route.got a couple of good mates? ha ha!
    whatever you decide have a great trip

Default different animals

I agree with Gommy, that there is a lot more to the comparison than just price. Traveling in an RV is a whole different experience than staying in motels. The right choice for you will depend upon the type of trip you are looking for.

It should also be noted that finding a place to stay shouldn't be a deciding factor in this decision. It looks like you will be heading to some of the US's top tourist destinations in the peak of summer travel season, that means it could be fairly challenging to find a place to stay no matter which option you chose. Even though you will always have a bed if you are in an RV, you need to remember that you will still be paying for camping fees and will have to find places to park with hookups so you can take advantage of the electrical and water features of the RV.

thanks to both of you.
    We were thrinking about a camper to avoid the look for a place to stay every evening. We have always in the past travelled by car without any problem but as you say it is the peak of the season. I do not want to reserve in advance because it is too difficult to plan the trip day by day. so that as far as you know will be so difficult to find a place to rest?? we do not have any special needs we will travel with our tent and slepping bag.

If we decide to rent a car, to visit the park would it be better a 4WD or a standard 2WD is ok??
    In the parks is it only possible to stay in the organized camping or are there area where following the good behaviour rule it camping free??

thanks again from Italy
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-20-2008 at 07:29 AM. Reason: fowl language

Default Here is a chart for the Pros & Cons

Quote Originally Posted by GIANLUCA View Post
    During high season is so difficult to find an hotel (especially in the parks like yellowstone ) to justify the price difference??
    That is sort of the "wrong" parameter -- in the summer there will be neither motel nor RV lodging options available in the most popular US national parks... Here is a good overview of the differences you ought to consider.

Mark

Default Here is a chart for the Pros & Cons

thxs
    it is really useful.

We wish to enjoy the nature do you think with the RV we will be penalized under this point of view?? I mean it would be better to have a 4WD or it is not necessary??

you won't have access to as many places in an r.v as you would a 4WD but it won't limit you much unless you intended to do serious off roading.overall i think you will be closer to nature by camping out in an r.v. than you will get from going from hotel to motel. a lot of campsites are secluded areas in woodland and you can't beat sitting around the fire eating a "home cooked" meal washed down with a couple of beers or glass of wine.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-22-2008 at 11:06 AM.

Default PARKS by RV or by CAR (4wd)

thanks Gommy
    Anyone else wished to add his own opinion about it??

Default key to remember

Keep in mind that 4 wheel drive isn't going to be any significant help in seeing anything compared to a regular car. Rental companies do not allow any of their cars, even 4WD models, to travel off road. If you are driving somewhere where you need 4 wheel drive, you will be voiding your rental contract.

Any car is certainly going to be more manuverable than an RV, so there could be some advantages in going that route. However, for the most part, most anything you'll be able to see with a car you'll be able to see with an RV.

I think there are much bigger differences between RV and car/hotel travel that I would worry about first when trying to decide which way to go.

Default to midwest michael

you said:

"I think there are much bigger differences between RV and car/hotel travel that I would worry about first when trying to decide which way to go."

what fo you exactly mean???

gianluca