1. Default Ohio to the West Coast and Back

I am starting to plan a road trip with my friends for late august/early september.... here is where we want to go...

ohio to st. louis to grand canyon to san fransisco to yellowstone to mount rushmore to st louis and back to ohio.

We want to only spend $1000-$1500 as it will be three people. We will be driving a car with roughly 28 miles to the gallon on highway. We plan to eat out of a cooler most of the way. We would also like to camp all the way.

Any suggestions, tips, ideas. DO you think this is a good idea in about a week and a half? Is it possible to do this trip with that amount of money? Could it be done cheaper?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Nope

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Sorry, I don't think you've got nearly the time nor the money to do this trip.

You're looking at about 6000 miles of traveling, once you factor in the point to point distance, plus a little extra for driving around towns and within parks. That could easily cost $900 just for fuel, so even at a very barebones level, I don't think you'll have enough left for a reasonable budget for food lodging and other expenses..

Covering this distance over just a week and a half also means that you would have to be on the road 10-11 hours a day every day for a week and a half to make this happen. That doesn't leave time left to see any of the places you want to stop, and quite frankly would be far more exhausting than enjoyable.

sorry, but I think you need increase your time and money budget or scale back your plans.