1. Default Coast to coast this summer(two Europeans)

Hi everyone,

I live in Republic of Srpska,Europe and I want to take a 45-day trip across USA with my girlfriend this summer.
    We will be staying in Richmond,VA for a few days and than hit the road to Chicago. After that,plan is to take Route 66 to L.A.
    On the way back we're not sure wich way to go. After L.A. I'm thinking of going all the way north to Seattle and take east to New York.
    Maybe you have some advices for west coast to east coast route.

Also,I have a few questions:

-Which car do you recommend for me to rent?(I'm thinking of Cadillac STS or smaller)
    -What are the prices of staying in a (decent) roadside hotels or motels(bed &breakfast)?
    -Is 40$-50$ per day enough for food(for 2 people),or how much is enough?
    -Is 45 days enough for this kind of experience?(we want to see major natural attractions in your country,feel your culture and stay for a few days in L.A. and Las Vegas)?
    -Are there road tolls in U.S. and what costs can I expect for them?
    -Is 6000$ budget enough for gas,food,hotels and tolls(car rent not included)?

Please send me your suggestions and advices,
    thanks in advance...

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter mirkovic View Post
    Hi everyone,

-Which car do you recommend for me to rent?(I'm thinking of Cadillac STS or smaller)
    This depends on how much you are planning on packing into that car. I would imagine renting a Cadillac would be on the expensive side for a month and a half.

-What are the prices of staying in a (decent) roadside hotels or motels(bed &breakfast)?
    These can range from $20/night to an essentially unbounded upper limit.

This seems a bit tight if you are planning on eating most of your meals on the road in restaurants, and you want to eat healthy, of course.

-Is 45 days enough for this kind of experience?(we want to see major natural attractions in your country,feel your culture and stay for a few days in L.A. and Las Vegas)?
    That is a good amount of time to get a general feel of the different cultures in the United States - for as much as is said about the homogenization of the country, there are still definite differences throughout the country.

-Are there road tolls in U.S. and what costs can I expect for them?
    There are many toll roads in the United States, generally on the Interstates, but you can find them on bridges and other roads as well. Usually just a couple of dollars in some areas, whereas others can get a bit pricier. Generally this depends on how far you are traveling on the highway.

-Is 6000$ budget enough for gas,food,hotels and tolls(car rent not included)?
    Excluding the car rental - it sounds kind of tight for this size of a trip.

3. Default

Mass Tim,
    Thank you very much for quick response,You are very kind and helpfull.As I see this is a great community and I'm so glad and happy that I found this website.

Please tell me which car do you recommend and can you recommend rental company for me?
    How much money will we need for this?
    Is a 10 000$ budget enuogh for this kind of trip?

I've been on European roadtrip and it is much,much more expensive than U.S.

Default How Long Will $10,000 Last?

There are several web sites that will let you check on the rental prices of cars from several agencies. Among these are Travelocity, Kayak, Orbitz, and Expedia. There really isn't very much difference in the level of service or cars among the major US rental companies (Hertz, Avis, Dollar, National, Alamo, Enterprise, Thrifty, Advantage and others) so let price be your guide. You really won't be able to reserve a particular make/model of car unless you want to pay a hefty premium for a specialty car. What you get normally depends on what a particular location has in stock when you arrive. What you sign up for is a class (size) of car. My wife and I are typically very comfortable in an intermediate or mid-sized car, and they are often the best deal as well. My rule-of-thumb is to expect a rental car to cost about $250/week (€160/week), but that can vary a fair bit. My other rule-of-thumb is $100/day (€65/day) when I travel alone and $150/day (€100/day) when My wife and I travel together. So $10,000 should last you 2 months, maybe a little less, as long as the international airfare is separate.

AZBuck

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Peter mirkovic View Post
    Maybe you have some advices for west coast to east coast route.
    I want to piggy back on his question to get answers to his first comment about advice for WC to EC route, and in my case, and back. I want to do a round trip starting from San Francisco to visit all 48 states. Is there a logical route to take?

I do think $40-$50 a day is enough for food for 2 people. You'll probably buy some groceries at the store for snacks and breakfast perhaps which will help, and I think some parts of the country will be less expensive than others to balance the cost.

6. Default Best (most enjoyable) route:Richmond,VA to Los Angeles,CA in 30 days (august 2010)

Hello,
    We are young couple from Europe and we will be on a road trip across states in late summer. Please help us choose best and safest roads for dicovering USA. We really want to feel America in a 30 days. Also,hotel recommendations and your opinons on budget for this kind of trip would be nice. And one more thing-what is the best choice for rent a car (type of car and company)?
    We hope that's not too many questions...
    Thanks in advance and sorry if my english is bad...
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-31-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Merged - Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip

Default Research.

With millions of miles of Highways and byways there is no one "best" route across the US so you really need to research a little, find places that appeal to you and put some dots on the map to start building a route. I am not sure I understand exactly what you mean by "safest roads" as you are unlikely to get ambushed by the Jesse James gang ! Lol ! ;-)

You have been given some budget advice above already, plus where to start looking for a car. It is difficult to recommend specific Hotels at any time but not knowing where you will be stopping makes it impossible. The route you wish to take and in which type of car are all things that only you can answer. When you have got an outline route based on your interests, we will be happy to help you piece it together, but you need to put in some work to get the best results.

Have a good look around RTA with a good map to hand, you will find routes and all sorts of travel tips, you can even get an idea of costs by clicking on the Air/car/Hotel link in the green tool bar near to the top of the page.