1. Default one-month Road Trip

My friends and I are planning a one month road trip of America :D I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips of an awesome route, must sees and any other good advice... were going to be going around july-august. We are planning on packing light, camping out and keeping it cheap!
    We're college students so we want a budget and a good time!

Default Help us out here...

Where are you starting from? How many of you are going? What will you be driving? What is your budget? What sort of thing do you want to see/do?

3. Default haha sorry im new at this

ok theres going to be 4 or 5 of us... im driving a ford focus at about 26 miles per gallon...
    we are starting in Florida and want to head out west :D
    were going to go for about a month...
    we want to hit most of the main National Parks like grand canyon and washington monument... maybe yellowstone. we want to hike some, camp, maybe rock climb, white water rafting...
    our budget i think is going to be between $600-700 each.
    but were planning on eating on a waybudget, sleeping with friends, and camping when we can....we want to make this as cheap as possible and we dont mind roughing it out a bit. (thats part of the fun).

4. Default oops

i meant mount rushmore, not the washington monument...

Default Roughing it with reality

Your biggest problem I think will be your budget.

$2500 simply isn't much money to live on for a month, and when you figure you're going to be spending at least $1000 of that on fuel, that only leaves $1500 for four people to live on for a month. (I'm only figuring 4 people, because 5 people in a focus for a month would be very cramped and you'd have a hard time fitting in gear for that many people, if you take 5 people, I'd strongly recommend finding a larger vehicle).

I'd check out this thread, which comes from another group who was looking at a very similar type of trip and has some good expectations about what you will need money wise to make your dreams a reality. (Just remember that gas prices are based on Feb 07, not Summer 2008 where $4 is a distinct possibility)

6. Default thanks!

That thread you linked me too was really helpful....we still have ALOT to figure out with the trip... i guess its easy to get excited and over shoot lol.but, when i figure more stuff out ill def. repost!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I'm only figuring 4 people, because 5 people in a focus for a month would be very cramped and you'd have a hard time fitting in gear for that many people, if you take 5 people, I'd strongly recommend finding a larger vehicle
    I was going to point out this very thing. Four people in a Ford Focus is pretty full, especially if you're bringing camping equipment too.

The budget is simply too small for a trip of this magnitude.