1. Default Moving Roadtrip! UT to VA--7 Days, 2 Kids, 1 Van

Hello, all!
    We're moving from the Salt Lake Valley to Northern Virginia (passing through Lafayette, IN) the 1st week of May. We'll be driving our 2005 Toyota Sienna and it will be the 4 of us--me, DH, and the two kiddos, ages 6 and 9. (Harry the dog is going to have to fly, methinks.)

Okay:
    The van has a DVD player, thankfully.

We plan on taking about 7 days--we don't want the days to be too excruciating and we'd like to have a few fun stops along the way.

We LOVE kitschy-silly stuff (having once lived in a town with a monument to the Boll Weevil) so would love to know of off-the-beaten-path stuff not to miss. Not really interested in major cities.

Our only definite stop will be in Lafayette, IN. Other than that we're trying to decide:

Southern WY vs Northern CO?

Iowa/Northern IL vs Missouri/Southern IL?

(will be stopping in Lafayette IN)

Southern OH/WV or Mid OH/PA? and then on into VA.

Any advice will be appreciated! I'll be posting individual questions in the right forums and finding my way around for other stuff.

Default Family Road Trips!

Quote Originally Posted by SallyMcQueen View Post
    We'll be driving our 2005 Toyota Sienna and it will be the 4 of us--me, DH, and the two kiddos, ages 6 and 9. (Harry the dog is going to have to fly, methinks.)
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Here are some Family RoadTrip Tips that are time-tested and some tips for Harry too.
    Any advice will be appreciated! I'll be posting individual questions in the right forums and finding my way around for other stuff.
    I can pretty much guarantee that if you post elsewhere on this Forum, (about this same trip), those other posts will be placed back in this thread.

Mark

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Drive the Lincoln Highway

If you're following the I-80 route, you can drive some of America's first transcontinental road, the Lincoln Highway. Lots of old and odd stuff along it. You can check out various LH sites for specifics.

One place of interest is Buffalo Bill's house in North Platte, Nebraska, and Fort Cody, one of the largest souvenir stores in the world. Lots of other interesting stuff in there.