1. Default Kentucky/Indiana/Ohio

Hi all. My wife and I are from New Zealand and planning a trip to the USA in late August/early September. We plan on spending a few days in New York and then flying to somewhere in the midwest and basing ourselves perhaps in Lexington. Is it possible to do day trips to places like Indianapolis, Paduca, Bloomington, Cincinnati without spending too much time behind the wheel.

Another idea was to Amtrak from New York to Washington DC and then drive to Kentucky....how long would that take and is there much to see on the way.

thanks

Andrew

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Driving from Washington, DC to Lexington area, would be around 10 hours of driving. There is quite a bit of beautiful mountainside country along that route, whether you go through Maryland or Virginia.

As far as times to the other places mentioned, from Lexington (all times one-way):
    To Paducah is about five hours.
    To Indianapolis is about four hours; Bloomington about three and a half.
    To Cincinnati is about one and a half hours - a very good candidate for a day trip.

Default I'm not an expert on Amtrak

Quote Originally Posted by drewandjo View Post
    Another idea was to Amtrak from New York to Washington DC and then drive to Kentucky....how long would that take and is there much to see on the way.
    I'm sure their website will give you all the information you need to know about their schedules and travel times.

Anything else we can help you with? Places to see? Things to do?

Default Digging through the Memory Banks

I once took an Amtrak train from Washington DC to Boston with a cello and enough luggage to last me 1.5 months. I remember getting on the train at like 11:00 pm and arriving in Boston the following morning around 8 or 9. It wasn't a bad trip at all. I think I slept through the train station in NY, although I remember seeing Mystic, CT out of the train window and still have that down as a place I'd like to explore further.

A brief look at Amtrak's website shows it only being a 3-4 hour trip. Not bad.

Laura