1. Default Boston to Nova Scotia and back (help needed :)

Hello everyone!

We're planning on a 2000-2500 miles 2 week roundtrip from Boston to Nova Scotia in first half of June, more less as on the attached map. Nothing too complicated then ;) I'm sure many of you have done that!

Hey so was wondering if we could ask you for a little help :)
    Do you think we'd need to book accomodation ahead or can we just go and don't worry about it? We're aiming rather at budget accomodation up to $60-65 per room per night, there are plenty of such places in the area. The only question is: what is the chance they will be free in that part of the year? After all it's not high season yet, but we don't want to spend night in the car either ;)

Another thing is, what places would you certainly recommend to visit and not to miss on this route? What is a must see what can we skip? ;) Oh, we're from Europe, so won't be coming back anytime soon... well, unless we really love the area, which we hope we'll do :)

And generally, how much planning would you recommed on that trip? As said, we'd prefer to be free with accomodation, i.e. sleep where we go and not have a conrete plan to stick, but on the other side we have budget limits.

Thanks in advance on any tips!

You have a great trip ahead.

Spent three weeks on this trip from Boston to Halifax, Nova Scotia but only covered two thirds of what you intend. However, you could spend six weeks and still run out of time. Sorry, can’t really help with the lodging question as I booked all my places before travelling. One way to keep the cost down is to stop someway away from tourist places – say outskirts of a town and travel more.

Anyway some brief points that comes to mind.

Boston. You can easily spend a number of days in and around the Boston area – Boston itself, Plymouth (Pilgrims), Gloucester (Perfect Storm film location), Salem (witch trials) and much more.

Maine Coastal Route. Wonderful scenery and coastal townships. A good route, particularly north of Portland, is to take Route 1 which passes through, and gives access to, all this beautiful landscape and goes as far as the Canadian border. Places I recall – Boothbay Habor( good whale trip taken here) , Rockport/Camden (pretty),Deer Isle (scenic), Bar Habor/Arcadia NP ( must see area for its natural beauty ). But many others.

Campobello Island. At the Canadian border make a detour to Campobello Island, crossing the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Bridge to visit the home of the late president Franklin D. Roosevelt. Very interesting place to explore - and you can look around the house which is open to the public.

Saint John, Canada. For ferry across to Digby in Nova Scotia. If you like sea food this trip is heaven because of what is available along the way. The Bay of Fundy, which you cross at this point, has some if not the highest tides in the world – so don’t fall asleep on a beach :- )

Halifax, Nova Scotia. Not too big and has an attractive waterfront which is easy to walk. Has some very good eating places and is a place where you can chill out but not be away from things. And Halifax is the place where lots of the Titanic survivors where landed and the dead buried. A Titanic museum is located on the waterfront.

Baddeck. Laid back place on the waterfront - is worth a stop and possibly overnight. Alexander Graham Bell, the telephone man, lived there for awhile and the museum there is worth a visit.

Malt Whisky. Glenora Distillery, Glenville. Possibly the only place in North America where malt whisky is distilled (bet someone knows different :- ) Good place to stop and visit the distillery /facilities.

Cheticamp. Was going to make reference to the best hookers in North America – but won’t : -) But it is the place to stop and meet rug hookers and see their handicraft. There are some really good pieces to take home as a souvenir.

Puffin Boat Tours, Englishtown Ferry Wharf. On the Cabot Trail and you see all manner of birds – puffins, bald eagles and many more. Thoroughly enjoyable boat trip.

Cabot Trail. Recognised as one of the most beautiful and scenic drives in North America. I’ll vouch for that claim. But be warned, the weather in this area can be unpredictable. One thing I did, and pleased I did, is take a small detour at the very north end of the trail to Meat Cove - say about 20 miles with a few unpaved (good condition) at the very end. Although I didn’t see any was told by a local that it is not uncommon to see whales passing by. Very scenic location.

Best wishes on your trip.

3. Default Anywhere else

Thanks for your suggestions. I am the second one taking part in this trip :) I wonder whether to book accommodation anywhere else than Boston. Second thought is - after reading travel guides - I can see that we won't be able to see everything that's interesting on the way. I think to focus on Nova Scotia and basically drive through the "north American" part of the journey. Apart from Acadia of course :) What do you think? And, last but not least: how long do you think it can take to get to Boston from around Prince Edward's Island? I mean driving at average speed on Thursday/Friday not speeding :) Thanks for your suggestions!

4. Default

Did you ever make this trip? I came upon your post this week because husband and I are going 7/18/12 and your route was interesting. Were you able to travel without reservations or did you book in advance. Am anxious to hear from you. Thank you

Tucson, AZ

Default Unlikely to Hear Back

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The original message was posted in 2008, and the poster has not returned to this site in the intervening four years. So it is unlikely that they will respond to your query. If the 'regulars' can be of any assistance to you, what I suggest that you do is start your own discussion with the details of your trip and what kind of specific information you're looking for. I can say that there is an ongoing debate among experienced Roadtrippers as to which is preferable, establishing an itinerary and making reservations or finding lodgings on the fly and going where the spirit moves you. There is no hard and fast best answer. But I will say that the pendulum swings a bit in favor of pre-planning as either your travels take you to a popular location at the height of its season or during a special event, or conversely, as you tend to get 'off the grid' and accommodations get scarcer. You really shouldn't have any problems in New England or even New Brunswick, but as you get up into Nova Scotia, Labrador and Newfoundland you might be well-advised to make sure you have a place to stay.

6. Default

Thank you for this information. I think it has eased my mind concerning reservations