1. Default Help with route please

We are planning a trip in May. We are flying in and out of San Francisco. Our initial idea was to go first to Yosemite and from there go to Monument Valley, via Hurricane and Willams, and then on to Vegas. After Vegas it is LA and then back up the coastal highway back to San Fran. Having done some research the route looks OK except the trip between Yosemite and Monument Valley looks pretty long with not much in between. Any advice on if this is a good idea or any alternative route would be most welcome.

2. Default A few places you might stop going or coming..

Quote Originally Posted by Simon1972 View Post
    [ .. ] Having done some research the route looks OK except the trip between Yosemite and Monument Valley looks pretty long with not much in between. Any advice on if this is a good idea or any alternative route would be most welcome.
    There are a few places you might consider stopping in the May time period..
    - Sequoia National Park
    - Route 66
    - Death Valley
    - Mojave National Preserve
    - Las Vegas
    - Oatman and its burro's
    - Grand Canyon
    - Petrified Forest National Park
    - numerous Indian ruins
    - Native American trading posts
    - Zion National Park
    - Bryce National Park
    - CanyonLands National Park
    - Capital Reef National Park
    - Arches National Park
    - Moab (and its many recreational options -- mountain biking, etc.)
    - Canyons of the Ancients National Monument
    - Canyon de Chelley National Monument
    - Meteor Crater, Arizona

Lots of places to stop, lots of things to do -- depending upon how long you have, and what you'd like to see. I wouldn't recommend a 1 day drive from Yosemite to Monument Valley, as its too long to do in a day. And remember that Tioga Pass probably won't be open yet, so you need to take the southern route through the Bakersfield area to head east past the Sierras.

3. Default RV Rental advice

Hi,

I am trying to arrange the following RV rental:

Pick up 17th May - San Franscisco.
    Drop off 20th May - Las Vegas.
    Vehicle - 7 berth.

Can anyone advise me if there are any companies that would do this as all the companies I have tried have said no, either because of the duration of because it is one way.

Simon

Default why

Lets start with the first element, why are you only planning to rent an RV for only 3 days. From the first question you asked, it sounds like you are planning a much larger trip, and RVs aren't really going to be a great option for just a 3 day trip.

I don't know who you have already tried, but Cruise America is one option worth looking at. However, because of the short timeframe, I just can't see this as being a cost-effective option

5. Default

Hi there,

We were originally going to have an RV for the whole trip. However, when we started looking into the itinery in more detail we decided that as we would be spending days at a time in Vegas, LA and SF it would make more sense to stay in hotels in those places. It was also a recognition that 2 weeks with 7 of us in a confined space may lead to trouble. We are now flying from Vegas to LA, we do realise it is now not quite as much of a roadtrip.

Thats why we were now only planning to have the RV for the first leg from SF to Vegas, via Yosemite. We have also trimmed our original plans so that we will only be taking a detour to the garnd canyon from Vegas, staying in Williams for one night, rather than going as far as monument valley.

I have tried Cruiseamerica. I think our back up plan will be to hire a people carrier and stay in cabins in Yosemite.

Simon

Default backup

If you aren't going to do an RV for the whole trip, then I think you will be better off just renting a car and staying in a motels/cabins. Between your difficulties in finding a company and the simple impracticallity of renting an RV for such a short stop and go trip, I just don't think its a good option for this trip.

Default Agreed!

I think our back up plan will be to hire a people carrier and stay in cabins in Yosemite.
    It just doesn't seem like you're going to be driving long enough for traveling in relatively tight quarters to be that big of a problem. Plus, by the time you load the RV up and then clean it out to return....well, it seems like you'll be spending a heckuva lot of time doing pick-up/drop-off stuff.

There are 7-passenger minivans. Those should work for you.

Another viable option is renting two vehicles. You can purchase FRS radios at any big box store inexpensively, like about $30 or less per pair. You can communicate with each other via these radios. You do have to stay within about a mile or so from each other or they get out of range. This way folks will have more room and you can mix it up and change who is riding with who if tension builds. It would probably be cheaper to rent two vehicles than a motorhome so cost shouldn't be a problem here.

Actually, I'd be inclined to do this. You could have a rowdy car and a quiet car, for example. You could also split off and meet later if folks have different ideas on just what they want to see and do for different periods of time on the trip.

If you don't feel comfortable being out of radio range, you can pick up inexpensive cellphones at most convenience stores and just pay for minutes as you go. You can load the phones with limited minutes to start out with and then reload them as you run out of minutes. Just a thought.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    If you aren't going to do an RV for the whole trip, then I think you will be better off just renting a car and staying in a motels/cabins. Between your difficulties in finding a company and the simple impracticallity of renting an RV for such a short stop and go trip, I just don't think its a good option for this trip.
    I agree. We started talking about a month-long road trip years ago, and we agreed that we'd do it when our daughters are young teens (old enough to enjoy the trip and endure long drives, also old enough to remember the things they'll see). When the trip was just an idea to kick around, we both assumed that we'd rent an RV -- in our minds, it was going to be one of the big parts of the adventure!

When we started actually putting plans on paper, and -- more importantly -- when we started attaching real numbers to those ideas, we figured out pretty quickly that an RV may be a great idea for some people, but it wasn't going to fit into our plans at all! Why?

1. Renting an RV was going to cost about $1000/week. Ouch. In all but the most expensive cities, we can find an inexpensive hotel for less than $100, so this isn't a great deal! If you're looking at the summer, you may not be allowed to rent for less than a week; plus you're going to have to pay the same cleaning fee regardless of whether you keep the RV for three days or a whole month. Bottom line: RVs aren't cheap!
    2. On top of the rental, we'd still have to pay at the campsite, so that'd be another $20-60!
    3. We weren't thrilled with the idea of pulling a car, nor did we want to be without small-car transportation around town. Likewise, our itinerary involves some city stays, and we weren't looking forward to driving something the size of an RV through downtown Chicago and Philadelphia.
    4. With gas over $3/gallon, it'd cost a fortune to drive the RV.

Admittedly, these numbers would be skewed differently IF we were interested in owning an RV or if we had friends from whom we could borrow an RV.