I would love a few tips about what shouldn't be missed on my drive (in an RV) from Denver to the Grand Canyon. Our route takes us thru Utah (Moab). We only have a week, & will end the trip with 1 day in Vegas before flying home to NY. I'm thinking we should just do a quick scenic drive thru Moab, then spend 2 days in the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and try to fit in a sidetrip to Sedona as well as Havasu Falls on the way to Vegas. I know many people suggest seeing GC's North Rim, so....does anyone think its better to make time for that area instead of the 2 day trek to Havasu Falls? Any tips would be appreciated!

Has anyone ever driven an RV on Interstate 70 at night...from the Denver area to Grand Junction, Colorado? We're thinking of starting this trip from Denver to Grnd Junction & then Utah, at midnight. I know we'd be missing the scenery (I've seen parts of it before) but I'm just wondering how difficult it will be in the dark...especially since we've never driven an RV before. (It will be late May, so the weather shouldn't be an issue) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-16-2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Merged Similar Posts

Green County, Wisconsin

Default at night

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I don't think driving I-70 at night would be any more difficult that driving any other interstate highway at night. I will say that missing the scenery would be borderline criminal in my opinion, even if you have seen "parts" of it before. Of course that's just because I think its probably the most scenic interstate in the US.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default What are you doing during the day?

If you're flying there, picking up and stocking your RV, etc., then I would say NO, don't do it. You will be exhausted and start your trip so tired that the weariness may impact the rest of your trip.

If, for some reason, you're going to be sleeping most of the day, this is less of an issue.

If you want to get on the road, I would suggest picking up your RV, stocking it, and spending the night at a campground not too far down the road that you can get into at an early enough time to learn how to set up the RV while it's still light outside. Get to bed early and sleep well and then get up early to start your trip.

I agree that it's always a shame to miss the sights by driving at night but I'm more concerned about your ability to drive safely at a time when you all might be tired and not as rested as you think you are. This is especially true when driving a vehicle that you're not used to like an RV.

Default RV Trip...more details

Thanks for the tips! I'll be in Boulder, CO, the entire week before, and my friends are flying in the day before we're planning to leave for the roadtrip, & picking up the RV straight from the airport. We have plans to go out the next night in Boulder, until about 11 pm, and can leave anytime after that. My friends were anxious to start the trip early, but maybe we will decide to wait until closer to early morning instead of in the dark. I know-the scenery is amazing there...but my friends are anxious to get to Arizona. I was just nervous about any steep declines on mountain roads with a big RV, & thought that doing it in the dark might be scary.

Tucson, AZ

Default The Choice

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your basic choice, as I see it, is not whether to leave Saturday night (pointless, or even worse - counterproductive) or Sunday, but which of two fantastic routes to take, The one you are proposing, I-70 to Moab and beyond would get you some very nice views of the mountains in Colorado and Utah along with some of the best the National Parks System has to offer, including Arches, Bryce Canyon, Zion, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The other has you taking somewhat less RV-friendly roads but nonetheless takes you through or near the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, the Million Dollar Highway, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, the South Rim of the Canyon and over Hoover Dam. There's no wrong choice, just a choice.