1. Default Boston-Mohawk trail-Niagara-Toronto-Boston

HI all,

I'm planning on driving from Boston to Niagara Falls next week and was wondering of possible attractions/places to stay? I'll be travelling with my wife and young sons aged 3 and 6.

Rough thoughts at the moment are heading out from Boston along the Mohawk trail stopping off at the South Deerfield Magic Wings conservatory before heading East. Once west of Syracuse, I was thinking of heading slightly South to travel through the Finger Lake region before getting back on the I-90 to make time and arrive in Niagara. We've got a hotel booked for a couple of nights on the Canadian side after which we're heading off to Toronto then on to Thousand Islands. We're finally thinking of heading east through the Adirondacks and back home.

We've got a loose schedule, but intend to spend 2 nights in Niagara and overnight once on the outbound and return legs of the journey.

1) Anyone know where to stay mid-way between Boston and Niagara falls - I'm not sure how far we'll get but a town that we could head for would be useful. The same would be true for the return leg via Toronto/Thousand Islands. We haven't booked but assume it would be pretty easy to find a room at this time of the year?
    2) Anyone know any scenic places or attractions that are en route that a small family might enjoy and I haven't mentioned?
    3) This is our first 'road-trip' so any advice for first timers?
    4) Can anyone recommend any reasonable hotels and places to eat?

Many thanks

Tucson, AZ

Default As It Happens

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

That general trip has come up a few times in the past. To get you started, here's a link that will point you to some of the best discussions and suggestions. Some specifics for your trip: Some good halfway stops on the way to Niagara might include Cooperstown with the Baseball Hall of Fame, or maybe in the Hamilton area with some nice fossiliferous shale beds, or if you want to go a bit farther, Elmira which has soaring activity and the National Soaring Museum. On the way back, I'd suggest the Rome area with Fort Stanwix and the Erie Canal Village. As far as advice for the novice, the whole secret to RoadTrips is that there is no secret, no one way to do them, no special formula. Whatever works for you and your family is the best way to do it. See whatever you want at your own pace. There are specific articles and forum threads that talk about how to do RoadTrips cheaply, how to prepare a budget, what things to think about before you go, etc. Poke around a bit using the "Search" function and I'm sure you'll find all the help you need. But more important than what we can tell you is what your wife and older son can tell you about what they want to do.

Last edited by AZBuck; 03-15-2008 at 07:09 PM.