Hampshire, England

Default Death Valley to Vegas - Most Scenic Route?

We're doing a trip later this year as follows:-

San Francisco - South Lake Tahoe - Yosemite - Bishop - Death Valley - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon (South Rim) - Las Vegas

I've got most of the route pretty well planned (I think!), but I'm not sure about the section from Death Valley to Vegas. We'll be staying the night at Furnace Creek Ranch, then driving from there to Vegas. I'd like some advice on which is the most scenic route to take. We'll be there in mid-August (I know it's not the ideal time, but we're tied into school holidays).

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Locals Route

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are lots of threads about these places and route options, so if you look around a bit, I think you'll get a lot of ideas that could enhance the plans you've already made.

As far as the trip from DV to Vegas goes, I'd check out the local's route.

Hampshire, England

Default Our eventual route

Well, we got back home a few days ago so I thought I'd just provide an update on the route we actually took. Death Valley was just a one night stopover between Bishop & Vegas, so our time was fairly limited.

We came down from Bishop on the 395, had a look in the DV Visitor Center on the outskirts of Lone Pine, then proceeded into the park (past Owens Lake). This took us via Father Crowley Point, across the Panamint Valley and eventually to Stovepipe Wells. Although staying at Furnace Creek, we took a detour north after leaving Stovepipe Wells so that we could visit Scotty's Castle and Ubehebe Crater.

After retracing our steps south we continued on to Furnace Creek Ranch. After checking-in and unloading our stuff into the cabins, we drove down the Badwater Road to do the Artists Drive (one way loop) just as the sun was setting.

The next morning, after a wander around the Borax Museum at Furnace Creek Ranch, we headed along the 190 to visit Dante's View, Twenty Mule Team Canyon and Zabriskie Point. We then went back to Furnace Creek for a look around the Visitor Center & Museum and to get some lunch.

In the afternoon, we went down the Badwater Road, stopping at Devil's Golf Course and Badwater before continuing south to Shoshone, Pahrump and Vegas.

The itinerary we followed meant we saw all the things we wanted to see (with the exception of Rhyolite), and drove pretty much the whole length of Death Valley. All of the things we did or saw were excellent, so I would recommend the route to anyone travelling through the area.

Another high point was being in the swimming pool at Furnace Creek at night. It was a fairly bizarre but certainly memorable experience being in a nice warm (84F) pool looking up at the starry sky.

South of England.

Default A great place

Hi there,
    Thanks for coming back and sharing your experience. Death Valley is a fascinating place,especially for us Brits as we have nothing at home to compare it too. I loved travelling through there and Furnace creek, it makes you wonder how they got some of that stuff out to the museum. Hope the rest of your trip was good as well, Grand canyon was the main reason for us visiting but everything was amazing and Yosemite turned out to be one of our favorites.

5. Default

fantastic information mate, we will be passing through Death Valley on our May trip next year and this is really useful!

Could i ask how much you paid for one night at furnace creek?

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Prices

Furnace Creek Ranch (motel) is $120 to $190 per night

Furnace Creek Inn (Hotel) is $305 to $425 per night

Hampshire, England

Default Furnace Creek accommodation

Bear in mind that the Inn is closed during the Summer months (low season) - check for details on their website. The accommodation at the Ranch is more basic, but good enough for a short stay. The food at the Ranch is very good, but remember that you are a captive audience and therefore you need to get to the restaurants early to avoid a long wait.