1. Default 3 week July Southwest Road Trip

My husband and I have just booked flights to LA from the 7th to the 29th July. Ideally we would like to visit San Francisco, Yosemite NP, Sequoia NP, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and LA of course. We want to avoid any huge drives, so would it be advisable to fly any leg? We were thinking of flying from LA to SF but after reading a few posts, maybe we should drive this as it's meant to be a lovely stretch of coast.

I have looked at a few suggested itineries but am finding it quite hard to judge distances and to decide how long to stay in any one place and where to break up the journey. Does anyone have any ideas?

I was going to leave planning this for a few weeks but after reading a few posts I am worried that we may struggle to find accomodation in Yosemite and GC if we leave it too long. Ahh!

Anyway, all help greatly received!
    Last edited by Lucy; 03-14-2008 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Title not detailed enough

hi there,
    you should be able to create a nice loop around the places mentioned and have enough time to go at a steady pace. as there are so many lovely places between each location i personally would just drive it. depending on your definition of a "huge drive" but being on the move and not having to return to your starting place each day makes a big difference,a couple of hours driving stopping for lunch,scenic views,places of interest etc then another couple of hours driving/exploring does'nt seem like an ordeal when theres so much to see around you. along with the fact that at the n.p's like yosemite and grand canyon they have free shuttle bus services to get around on,giving you time away from the wheel.
    to get an idea of distances find a route finder site,i use "windows live local" but don't forget to add the time for stops and lunch etc.
    if you intend to stay inside the parks then,yes i would recommend booking early as poss.
    heres a trip we done that visited a lot of those places[but not the coast part]which may help to give you a better idea.,any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
    have a great trip!

Default Lodging is probably already booked for July in the parks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    My husband and I have just booked flights to LA from the 7th to the 29th July.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Sounds like an exciting and busy road trip holiday.
    Ideally we would like to visit San Francisco, Yosemite NP, Sequoia NP, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and LA of course.
    Here is a list of routes (and tips) that would enable you to cover all of these places.
    We want to avoid any huge drives, so would it be advisable to fly any leg? We were thinking of flying from LA to SF but after reading a few posts, maybe we should drive this as it's meant to be a lovely stretch of coast
    The Big Sur is one of those truly magnificent drives --- the one thing you need to know is that in July and August, the coast is covered on a daily basis by fog. It can still be beautiful and enchanting but it will be cool and moist. Here is one of those "magical" places. However, the coastal road provides you access to a little known (so far) wine growing region. Here is an excellent book for discovering some of these still un-touristed areas.
    I have looked at a few suggested itineries but am finding it quite hard to judge distances and to decide how long to stay in any one place and where to break up the journey. Does anyone have any ideas?
    On a general basis -- you should expect to be traveling 8-10 hours each day and traveling 400 to 500 miles on your travel days. With your schedule, you will have time to spend a couple 1-2 layovers in key places to really get a feel of the place.
    I was going to leave planning this for a few weeks but after reading a few posts I am worried that we may struggle to find accomodation in Yosemite and GC if we leave it too long. Ahh!
    Loding in the national parks is generally reserved a year or so in advance during the summer months. You can still find lodging in the surrounding areas -- but you may find lodging in the parks (at the lodges) is already full.

Here are some more posts that might helpful to you:
    An overview written by LA-native, Larrison, about visiting Los Angeles
    Summer roadtrip (SF-Las Vegas-LA-SF)
    A discussion about the differences between Redwoods and Giant Sequoias
    A field report about visiting the Grand Canyon

Happy Planning!

Mark

4. Default

Thanks for all the help! Managed to get accomodation in the Grand Canyon and Yosemite National Parks, but there wasn't much left!

5. Default 3 week July Road Trip

Hi Lucy
    Are you from the UK? If so where did you book your flights - and did you do a return flight or multi-leg?
    Sorry for questions but we too are planning to go in July starting at Las Vegas visiting SF and then driving East and possibly to Cape Cod for a few days before flying back from NYC. Saw a good deal on Expedia last week - £551 inclusive each, but now it's gone up to £660!

Cheers
    Caroline

6. Default Flights

Caroline

I am British but we live in Sweden. However, we are flying from Heathrow as we will be in the UK for a wedding and the deals are much better than from Stockholm! We got a great price with Air France who fly to LA direct, £440 each which was about £150 cheaper than anyone else! Not sure if they fly to Vegas though...

Hope that helps