1. Default Portland to Atlanta, next week!

So much for early planning...interested in some suggestions and input on road conditions for a road trip from Portland to Atlanta, by way of Vegas. It'll be my husband and I in a 4x4 Jeep, but we only have about 8 days and I'd rather not be too worried about being slowed down by snow or road closures. I think I'd like to spend the first night at the Redwoods, but does anyone have suggestions for other stops? If it were later in the year I'd want to try for Tahoe and Yosemite and drive through Death Valley on the way to Vegas, but not sure about the roads (and know Yosemite is closed from the east).

Any suggestions for best routes, or not to miss places? I tend to be over-ambitious and need some help!

Thanks!

Erika

Default Did you do the trip in September too?

Quote Originally Posted by cobained View Post
    So much for early planning...interested in some suggestions and input on road conditions for a road trip from Portland to Atlanta, by way of [Vegas.
    Is this a replacement trip for the September, 2007 trip or is this an additional ramble?
    It'll be my husband and I in a 4x4 Jeep, but we only have about 8 days and I'd rather not be too worried about being slowed down by snow or road closures.
    Well, in a normal spring, you would have no worries about road closures (except Tioga) but this spring has been anything but normal -- ice storms last weekend in Arkansas and Missouri were outrageous.

Possible stops -- That first night you could zip back to the coast and stay somewhere near Crescent City and the Redwoods NP.

CA-299 is a very pretty drive and I would push on to Susanville and plan to drive down US-395. Third Night at Mammoth or Bishop and drive through Death Valley to Las Vegas. How many nights at LV?

From there you will probably need to hammer down to Atlanta.

Mark

3. Default second trip!

We did drive this trip in September, but with the pets and the trailer and not enough funds, we didn't really get to enjoy it...just drove pretty much through and camped along the way. We drove up through Salt Lake City and through Nebraska, down to St Louis and then to Atlanta. We left our Jeep in Washington, and will be driving that this time. This time we have a little bit of money to spend, a tad more time, and no pets.

I think we'll only spend one night in Vegas, but would like to arrive there early enough to look around a bit and enjoy it. Are the smaller highways through Death Valley going to be a problem, weather-wise, or is it fairly safe to be planning on driving through?

Thanks!

Default RoadTrippin' With Style

Quote Originally Posted by cobained View Post
    This time we have a little bit of money to spend, a tad more time, and no pets
    Then the time frame will be very leisurely -- good planning.
    I think we'll only spend one night in Vegas, but would like to arrive there early enough to look around a bit and enjoy it.
    One night is really pushing it -- this is a city of over 2 million people with some extraordinary side trips available -- here are six of them. But one can be enough too...
    Are the smaller highways through Death Valley going to be a problem, weather-wise, or is it fairly safe to be planning on driving through
    All paved roads will be open for you.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-14-2008 at 09:36 AM.