1. Default San Fran to New York

Hi all.

So the time is coming up for me to move back across the country, and this time, a friend and I are planning on driving one-way. We plan on leaving around August 11th, and would like to be back home by the end of August as unfortunately, classes start September 2nd. Short summer, indeed!

So far, the places we know we definitely want to hit:

Hearst Castle and the Pacific Coast Highway
    Las Vegas
    Grand Canyon
    Shakespeare Ghost Town in New Mexico
    Waco, TX
    Dallas, TX
    Memphis
    Possibly Atlanta

We're both coming home after a year away, and we're familiar with the NY-Florida drive, having done it with our families.

Mainly, the destinations I'd really love to hit are the kind of places you won't find anywhere else (such as the Dr. Pepper Museum, Graceland, etc.) We're both a bit silly and we'd love to go to places most people have never heard of , for the experience.

We actually don't have a car yet; but it looks like one of us will be buying a car on the way home. Does anyone have any experience with this? And if so, what state typically has cheapest prices for cars?

Budget; we haven't discussed. Luckily, between the two of us, we have friends all over the country, so we're hoping to play the couch surfing game. We're aiming for about 18-21 days altogether. Is this doable?

All and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Default It's a good way to spend your short summer!

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

So you're moving from San Francisco back to New York? Twenty days gives you time to do this. It takes 5 days to make the drive if no time is taken for sightseeing and playing. So this leaves you the equivalent of about 15 days to play along the way. So the trip is do-able in 18-21 days.

We actually don't have a car yet; but it looks like one of us will be buying a car on the way home. Does anyone have any experience with this? And if so, what state typically has cheapest prices for cars?
    This statement really confuses me. If you don't currently have a car, how are you going to get to wherever you'll be buying a car to do your roadtrip in? Are you renting a car with the idea of dropping it off wherever you buy your car? If so, you have to have all this set up prior to renting the car as there are drop-off fees, etc. And they need to know where and when you plan to drop the car off ahead of time.

I've never purchased a car outside of the general area I live so I can't answer this question. However, I would think if you visited a website that sells cars across the nation, that you could pick a make/model car you like and then search for it across different areas to see if there's a big difference in cost from one area to the other.

Why not just buy it in San Francisco area? Just curious.

Budget; we haven't discussed. Luckily, between the two of us, we have friends all over the country, so we're hoping to play the couch surfing game.
    Even if you can stay on someone's couch every single night, you're still going to need a budget for gas, food, and miscellaneous other expenses. You might want a stash for emergencies if something goes wrong with the car, for example. This post has a lot of tips on how to figure out your budget. You and your friend really need to work through this. Unless you have a big budget and deep-pockets, you really don't want to take off without some idea of what you need for what or you could find yourself stranded in Memphis.

Hearst Castle and the Pacific Coast Highway
    Las Vegas
    Grand Canyon
    Shakespeare Ghost Town in New Mexico
    Waco, TX
    Dallas, TX
    Memphis
    Possibly Atlanta
    Your route looks good. You've brought something up that's new to me. I've never heard of the Shakespeare Ghost Town. Dang it anyway....I was just in Lordsburg about 3 years ago. If I'd known about it, I would have stopped. Bummer.

We're both a bit silly and we'd love to go to places most people have never heard of , for the experience.
    Check out the Roadside Marvels on this site for some ideas. Also use the search tool in the green bar above to search around. There's a wealth of info here. And we've got a great list of books to choose from here that list all sorts of strange and unusual oddities across America.

Just a few things that pop into my mind:
    * The Flinstones Bedrock City, just south of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, Valle, AZ
    * The Thing
    * White Sands National Monument in New Mexico
    * Smokey the Bear's Grave, near Capitan, New Mexico, and on the way to Roswell, NM (another worthy stop)
    * Fort Sumner, New Mexico (where Billy the Kid roamed)
    * Tucamcari, New Mexico, with some great old Route 66 shtick

Hope this helps a bit. I'm not familiar enough with the rest of the country to give you tips for other areas but I'm sure someone will come along who will. But this should get you started.