1. Default DC to Denver avoiding the snow: I-70 or I-64?

Hi,
    I'm getting ready to drive from DC to Denver - tomorrow! I've made the drive before, but never in the winter and never in a rear-wheel drive sports car like I am this time. In the past, I've taken I-70 nearly the whole way out there, which was fine (Pennsylvania-Columbus, OH-Dayton, OH-Indianapolis, IN-St. Louis, MO-Denver). However, since this time I'm driving a vehicle that is horrible in the snow, I'm a little concerned at taking such a northern route. I was thinking instead of taking I-64 (through W. Virginia, Lexington, KY) and joining up with I-70 near St. Louis. I'm not really interested in scenery or sites - I'll be doing the drive as quickly as I can. I'm just looking for the safest route. Has anyone ever taken I-64 this way? I'm curious what the drive will be like and if it might be worth it to avoid I-70 for that portion. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
    Collin

Default I-64 route

Hi Collin,

I suppose you're looking at running down I-81 off of I-66 out of DC, thence to I-64 west at Lexington, VA, and on through WV, Lexington, KY, and St Louis. That's a fairly nice drive, albeit heavy truck traffic on at least the I-81 part, all the way to Charleston, WV. My experience from Charleston through Huntington and most of the way to Lexington, KY is heavy truck and heavy urban traffic and a poor experience.

And unless you're seeing different things in the next 3-4 day's forecasts than I am, I really don't see snow concerns until you get out towards Denver, anyway. Since you'll be on I-70 by then, it seems to me you'd just choose the route through the Appalachians which suits you best.

Much of Ohio got slammed last weekend with heavy snow, but I'd guess major highways have been fully cleared for the last two to three days from that, and I think the oncoming wetness all across the Midwest is rain this time.

Am I missing something?

Foy

3. Default Me Too

Quote Originally Posted by CollinH View Post
    Hi,
    I'm getting ready to drive from DC to Denver - tomorrow! I've made the drive before, but never in the winter and never in a rear-wheel drive sports car like I am this time. In the past, I've taken I-70 nearly the whole way out there, which was fine (Pennsylvania-Columbus, OH-Dayton, OH-Indianapolis, IN-St. Louis, MO-Denver). However, since this time I'm driving a vehicle that is horrible in the snow, I'm a little concerned at taking such a northern route. I was thinking instead of taking I-64 (through W. Virginia, Lexington, KY) and joining up with I-70 near St. Louis. I'm not really interested in scenery or sites - I'll be doing the drive as quickly as I can. I'm just looking for the safest route. Has anyone ever taken I-64 this way? I'm curious what the drive will be like and if it might be worth it to avoid I-70 for that portion. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
    Collin
    I'll be setting out on that same drive on March 17 and had the same idea as you (plus wanted to visit my sister in Cincinatti). I've tried to get from DC to southern Ohio before, and it's not very efficient. Can you post after your trip and let us know how it went? Good luck.

4. Default I-70 it is

I made it to Denver safely, and happily avoided any truly bad weather. Though it threatened to rain throughout Ohio, Indiana, and Missouri, it never did. It was foggy and snowy in Kansas for about 30 miles, but otherwise fine. For the most part, it seems like I narrowly avoided bad weather the entire trip. Good thing, because it decided to snow in Denver tonight. There was no major construction along the way, though there were plenty of speed traps. Have a safe trip.

(BTW, Foy, you were spot on. Decided to risk the I-70 route based on improved weather reports, and I was glad I did it.)

Default Thanks for the update

Glad you arrived safely. It's always nice to hear back from somebody so we know our advice helped.