1. Default LA to Vancouver Island

Hi

My brother inlaw lives on Vancouver Island (we live in the UK) last few years we have visited him we have done something different on the way.

This year we (we as in wife and four kids) we are planning to fly to LA using an RV to get down or is it up? to seattle over about 10 days and then get the ferry to the Island from bellingham.

We want to go to include the grand canyon and Yosemite and kids want to have there share of beaches.

Can anyone recommend a route for all of us.

I would be very interested in any RV parks worth staying at around the canyon area and at yosemitye and then parks along the coast.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dave

2. Default Ferry from Bellingham?

Umm... just as a note, there isn't a vehicle ferry from Bellingham to Victoria. There's a pasenger ferry from Port of Bellingham to Victoria, but no vehicle ferry. There's a vehicle ferry from Bellingham, but it heads north to Alaska, and doesn't stop at Victoria.

You probably need to catch the ferry at Port Angeles, Anacortes, or Tsawwassen (in British Columbia, south and west of Vancouver) if you're taking the RV -- else you need to turn it in before you head for the ferry terminal in Bellingham.

My concern is your detour to the Grand Canyon (travelling from LA to Seattle) adds nearly 1000 miles to your trip compared with say going straight to Yosemite from LA. Your 10 days will soon run out if you wish to spend any quality time anywhere.

Jot down the places you would like to visit, including any place you wish to spend a day without travelling, and see how it works out over ten days. On a travel day give yourself a realistic mileage target the family will be happy with.

If the children are not happy I guarantee you won’t be.

Default Stick to the coast

I think you should heed Eris's advice. Save the Grand Canyon and other sights like that for another trip when you fly into Las Vegas to start your trip to Vancouver. Or add more days to this trip.

I suggest you read through this discussion about a similar trips (but these folks are going from the north to the south so you'll have to see these things in reverse order). Here's another discussion with some additional ideas for going from LA to Canada. These discussions should give you some ideas. There is a LOT to see between LA and Vancouver Island. You won't get bored. Trust me! (And you should really spend a couple of days taking the kids to see The Mouse, shouldn't you? I know I'd love it and I'm not even a kid, LOL).

In the summer, there's also a car ferry from Anacortes, WA, to Vancouver Island. Anacortes is roughly half-way between Seattle and Bellingham. Perhaps that's what you were thinking of?

Please feel free to ask more questions.

If you go the coast route – just a sample of stops with family in mind.

Santa Cruz – beach board walk.

A beachside amusement park with lots of attractions, rides and interests for the family. Good sandy beach to enjoy. Also take a walk to the end of the wharf / pier, includes good eating choices, for the view and see the sea lions.

Half Moon State Beach. Route 1 West of San Francisco.

Magnificent long sandy beach which is well kept (by the state) with excellent RV facilities. You will have splendid views across the bay from your plot and be right next to the beach. Although fine to get your feet wet not suitable (not uncommon along this Pacific coastline) for swimming in sea. An excellent beach well used by familes.

San Francisco Zoo – near Golden Gate Park.

A great place for a family day out. A well laid out park area with lots to see and do. Miniature steam train, carousel, and interactive things along with all the animals you would expect to see at a top zoo.

My reading is, because of border issues, the rental RV will be returned while still in the USA and maybe Bellingham is the most convenient drop off point.

Antacortes Ferry. A wonderful scenic journey through the San Juan islands to Vancouver Island via Friday Habor but it seems to be more for car uses - either parking up as a foot passenger or taking your vehicle. Saw no evidence at Anacortes of public transport to the terminal say to/from Seattle.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
    Umm... just as a note, there isn't a vehicle ferry from Bellingham to Victoria. There's a pasenger ferry from Port of Bellingham to Victoria, but no vehicle ferry. There's a vehicle ferry from Bellingham, but it heads north to Alaska, and doesn't stop at Victoria.

You probably need to catch the ferry at Port Angeles, Anacortes, or Tsawwassen (in British Columbia, south and west of Vancouver) if you're taking the RV -- else you need to turn it in before you head for the ferry terminal in Bellingham.
    My confusion, on the way back home we have to drop the RV in bellingham, we are going in and out of the Island via Port Angeles.

Thanks for that

7. Default

Thanks Eris and Judy,

was kinda thinking that was a longway round.

No direct flights to LV from here unfortunatly least not with British Airways

Dave

Default Anacortes is an option

You might want to return to the US mainland via Anacortes's ferry. As Eris said, it's a beautiful journey through the San Juans. You could even stop over at Friday Harbor for a few hours/days if you want. And this gets you very close to Bellingham so you don't have to drive through Seattle traffic.

Of course, nothing wrong with coming back to Port Angeles and then driving around more of the Olympic Peninsula. You could either drive all the way to Bellingham by going down around Olympia or crossing over the Tacoma Narrows bridge, or take different ferries across Puget Sound at Port Townsend or Winslow or Bremerton, for example.

Have you decided on a coastal drive north then? Did we give you enough tips to plan your trip? Please feel free to continue asking questions.

As for their being no direct flights to Vegas....how about taking a connector flight there sometime and then starting out to visit your brother from there. Or fly into Phoenix, AZ. Either would make a good starting point to tour the Grand Canyon-Bryce-Zion, then up to Yellowstone and Glacier on your way to Vancouver Island. Just a thought for a future trip.

Hope we can help you more!