1. Default Charlotte - Wilmington

Hi guys,
    my name is Christof and I'll spend this year in North Carolina. Actually I'm a German guy.
    This Saturday I want to start to Wilmington early in the morning, spending the day in the City (Battleship, Moores Creek Battleground etc.) and in the evening maybe heading to Kure Beach.
    First question: How long does it take to go to the Kure Beach and should I stay there (without a reservation for a hotel) or do you recommend me to return to Wilmington City for the night?
    Second question: On Sunday I wanna drive along the "south" coast (Southport heading west). Is there a road along the beach(es)?
    Third question: Are there some interesting things between Charlotte and Wilmington where I can stop on my way to the coast or back?
    Sorry for that many questions :-)
    Regards
    Christof

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

According to my sources, the trip from Charlotte to Kure Beach would take about five hours. I would recommend getting a place to stay there for the night, otherwise you're looking at a ten-hour driving day, which wouldn't leave you much time to enjoy the area at all.

There does not appear to be any through roads along the beach area there - just the normal beachfront neighborhood streets.

3. Default Re: Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

According to my sources, the trip from Charlotte to Kure Beach would take about five hours. I would recommend getting a place to stay there for the night, otherwise you're looking at a ten-hour driving day, which wouldn't leave you much time to enjoy the area at all.

There does not appear to be any through roads along the beach area there - just the normal beachfront neighborhood streets.
    Thank you! I wanna stay anyway that night. But I'm surprised that the trip takes 5 hours. Also other colleagues told me that. I might spend one more day there or decide to make a trip to Myrtle Beach or Charleston, which means one hour less to drive...

I will keep you posted :-)

Default NC Road Tripping

Hi Christof,

It's only + or - 200 miles to Kure Beach from central Charlotte. With only ordinary traveller's stops, I'd figure around 4 hours, less if you count only the time to Moore's Creek or the USS North Carolina. From the USS North Carolina (which is a MUST SEE), it's only about a 25-30 minute drive to Kure Beach. You'll go through Carolina Beach along the way, and a number of small motels can be found in both beach communities. Some may be closed for the winter and until Easter Weekend, but I feel sure you can make a few calls and find a place to stay down there, eliminating the need to backtrack to Wilmington for Saturday night.

Keep in mind seeing Fort Fisher, just below Kure Beach. It's a very well done park and has much in the way of exhibits about the Civil War history of the site. I assume you're looking at taking the Southport Ferry across the Cape Fear, and if not, it's a great ride and worthy of doing.

From there, the main roads are on the mainland side of the Intracoastal Waterway and you've got to take short drives to and across the bridges over the ICW to the beach communities, where one street or another runs along the beach, normally with a single row of homes between the street and the beach itself. Most of those communities have designated public access walk-throughs between homes, some with parking, and here in NC the entire beach below the high tide line is considered public property and is open to all to visit and enjoy.

Enjoy your trip and do post a Roadtrip Report, won't you?

Foy