Default Cross-country move - northern route?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are relocating to Virginia from California in July. We have an open time-table to drive to VA, but will be travelling with our 2 dogs.

We love the outdoors, and with the dogs, we've decided to do a lot of camping, with a few stops at pet-friendly hotels along the way for breaks.

We want to hit Yosemite on our way out of CA, then travel to see friends in Salt Lake City, then see Yellowstone... and then the plan falls apart.

I feel like we're planning a lot of out-of-the-way stops at the beginning of the trip, and I'm worried we'll get tired of being on the road. I'd like to find as direct a route as possible from Yellowstone, SD to Virginia, but still have an interesting drive with a few more things to see along our way (hopefully dog-friendly stops).

All of my other cross-country trips have been along the southern route, so I'm really unfamiliar. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Default You'll Find What You Look For

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There is no shortage of outdoor, dog-friendly locations, both big and small, along any major trans-continental highway. This is just a sample of what's along one such road, and try reading through this report of what's available in South Dakota. To find the smaller venues, get yourself a good atlas and just have a look for state parks, national forests, and wildlife refuges along the way. A few of the better known stops if you're going to be taking a more northern route through South Dakota would include Indiana Dunes and Cuyahoga Valley. And here's a great source of tips for travelling with pets.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-11-2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Fix link