1. Default DFW to White Sands, and back ...

So many ways to get from Fort Worth to White Sands! Does anyone have a fast route? Or one that has must see stops? Also; we are driving back after staying in Carlsbad, New Mexico. Any suggestions on the best return route? -- Hugo

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Fastest or best sites?

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

If you're simply looking for the fastest route to White Sands, take I-20 to the merge with I-10 into El Paso, then US-54E and then NM-213. This is about 650 miles and should take you roughly 11-12 hours to drive. This timeframe allows limited time for stops for fuel/food/bio breaks but no time for sightseeing. Obviously, plan accordingly if you want to stop and explore along the way. You could do this in one long day but it would be pretty tiring so, if possible, plan for two days.

Fastest way home from Carlsbad is via I-30 to the merge with I-20. This is about 430 miles. Figure 7.5 hours or so with the same quick stops so this could be done in one day. However, allow more time if you want to be able to explore.

What kind of things do you like to see? Give us an idea of what types of things are "must sees" for you so we can give you better recommendations.

3. Default An alternative to the El Paso route ...

We are looking for an alternative to the El Paso route. Making it there in 12 hours is really making time. When I map possible routes I see a Synder/Hobbs/Artesia route. Is that stop-and-go highways or ... ? Thanks for the tip on the return route. -- Hugo

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Stop and go?

If by stop-and-go you mean that you're going through towns and will occasionally need to slow down when going through the towns, yes. I don't see this as any big deal, however.

If you're asking about congestion, during my travels in New Mexico, especially in the southern part of the state, I've never experienced congestion except in the main cities like Santa Fe and Albuquerque.

If you're looking for something that will take you off the main interstates, the route you've picked looks good to me. Also consider taking 199 and 380 through Newcastle, Brownfield, and Roswell. The advantage of this is that you won't be any backtracking through the Artesia-Alamogordo stretch so you're always driving on new roads. The Roswell-Alamogordo section is a very pretty drive.