1. Default NY to FL through OHIO,TENN,KEN,

Hi all. My family is planning a trip next week to FL from NY, we have decided to take the alt route. Instead of going through the Virginias and the Carolinas, we have decided to go the 75 rt. We are traveling with an infant and her Doctor advised us to go this way time permitting. I myself do not like the twisting,curvy mountains and was hoping that someone could reassure me of this route. Also we have decided to stop in Georgetown and Cordelle,any feelings on this stop. I am not a good car trip rider and am hoping that I will be helping my husbands ears out on this trip, the last trip was not good for him I am a worry ward through the mountains. Thanks for the help!

Default Some Questions of My Own

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Where are you starting out from in New York State and where are you going in Florida. From New York City to almost anywhere in Florida, I-95 provides a flat and straight (if heavily travelled) route that should not cause problems for either vertigo or pressure equilibrium. So I'm confused as to why your doctor recommended that you take I-75 which is considerably longer and does entail at least some mountain driving in Tennessee and northern Georgia. If you are coming from Buffalo, on the other hand, then this makes a bit of sense, but I'd still look at using I-71 to Louisville, KY, I-65 to Nashville, and I-24 to Chattanooga before hooking up with I-75. The stops you've listed generally break your drive into three separate sections (depending, of course, on where you start and end your trip), so they're fine. If you take the I-71/I-24 option, then you'd be looking to stop somewhere just south of Louisville, KY on the first night.

AZBuck

3. Default

Hi, thanks for answering. We are leaving from Silver Creek NY,south of Buffalo and are traveling to St Petersburg. Rt 75 is the way that AAA sent us from Georgetown all the way to Florida. I am not sure of any other route. Are the mountains at least less scary this way? My issue in the car is anxiety! Thanks for any help you have!

Default Your Call

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you were to take the shortest route, the one through the Virginias and Carolinas that you mentioned in your first post, you'd be driving around 1250 miles. But you would be going right across the Appalachians, even if on Interstates. I've driven the West Virginia Turnpike, albeit back when it was a two lane road, and can understand that it might induce some anxiety. Now presumably AAA took your insecurity with mountain driving into account when they suggested the I-75 route which does skirt the Appalachians for the most part and only adds about 100 miles to the overall length. This should be much less worrisome than the more direct route. The route I suggested adds another 50 miles and swings wider west to avoid one small area in southeastern Kentucky and northwestern Tennessee that still may be a bit much for you. I don't know that it's worth it, or that you can't handle the route that AAA suggested. What I think you might try is to take I-75 down to St. Petersburg, and if that still proves to be too much, then stop at one of the local AAA offices and explain your situation to them and ask them to route you home through Chattanooga and Louisville instead. Best of Luck.

AZBuck

5. Default thanks a bunch

were gonna give it a go, anything has to be better than the Virginia mountains. hopefully between this new route and the medicine I will be trying we can have an enjoyable trip. we are traveling with 5 children! maybe I will not make them so nerveous! thanks again for your'e help! I hope we found the right route!
    ready to get out of the snow!