1. Default Toronto To California... (Road Trip

Hey guys..

Im from Scotland and i have family in Canada. Been to Canada 2 times and i really enjoyed my self.
    What im planning to do is a road trip with my friends in the summer from Toronto to California. (If thats possible) LOL
    Can anyone help me out and tell me if 2 weeks would be enough for this trip? How long would it exactly take by car to get to California? I also want to visit New York, Chicago, Washington before i go to California. Maybe spend a night each at those places.

Also another thing i forgot to mention. Would it be easier if we started the road trip from Vancouver and went straight to California?

I really dont no alot about USA and Canada, just wanted a rough idea on what to do. Or if anyone can make a better plan for me that would be really great.

Thanks

Aamir x
    Last edited by Aamir Amin; 03-05-2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: closed page by mistake!!

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Aamir Amin View Post
    Can anyone help me out and tell me if 2 weeks would be enough for this trip?
    I think the route as you've laid out below would be pretty tight for a trip of this magnitude. Toronto to New York City is a full day trip; New York City to Chicago is about a day and a half.

How long would it exactly take by car to get to California?
    Generally, it is five days from coast to coast when driving in the United States. Where in California are you planning on going? It is a very large state - about five times the size of Scotland, for reference - and the third largest state in the country.

I also want to visit New York, Chicago, Washington before i go to California. Maybe spend a night each at those places.
    I just don't think there is enough time for all of this.

Also another thing i forgot to mention. Would it be easier if we started the road trip from Vancouver and went straight to California?
    This would give you a lot more time to explore the West Coast, to be sure, and I think this would be the best option.

I really dont no alot about USA and Canada
    Just keep in mind that the distances in both countries are quite vast - you are talking about most of the Northern part of the Western hemisphere, after all.

3. Default Hey

Thank for your reply.

I want to go to San Francisco and then maybe Los Angeles. I dont think ill have enough time for New York Chicago and Washington.

So do you think my best option is start my trip from Vancouver?
    How many days will it take by car, From Vancouver to San Francisco. Then from San Francisco to Los Angeles?

Default 2 weeks is good for just the west coast

Yes, if you don't care if you see NYC or not this trip, flying into Vancouver or Seattle would probably be best.

You can do Vancouver to San Francisco in 2 days. San Francisco to Los Angeles in 1 day. Both of these times are if you stick to the highway (I-5) and just drive.

Of course, if you want to explore and enjoy the scenery, it can take much longer. I think most of us would encourage you to take the coastal highway (101 and CA-1) for your trip. If you do this, I would suggest that you can consider at 4-5 days for the Vancouver to San Francisco leg. And two days for San Francisco to Los Angeles.

Were you thinking of flying into Vancouver and then out of Los Angeles? Or is this a roundtrip?

If your focus is to visit California, why not fly into an airport there? Just curious.

My concern is the rental car. I have no idea what the rules would be for a foreign visitor to rent a car in Canada and bring it into the United States. I've heard conflicting reports on this so you'll want to make sure that it's OK with the rental car company. If you do this trip as a one-way trip, it also means that you would have to have this pre-arranged with the car rental company and pay a 1-way drop-off charge. Be sure to get a quote for this as it can sometimes be significant (the cost seems to vary a lot).

Anyway, two weeks is ample time to do a West Coast trip. If you're doing it roundtrip, I would suggest doing the coastal highway one direction and I-5 the other direction.