1. Default Need Help to plan a road trip from Raleigh, NC to Niagara Falls, Canada

Hello All!!!

I am planning a a family road trip for the upcoming spring break. this is going to be our first mayor road trip and wanted to get advice on how to plan it, places to visit along the route, etc. The trip is going to be 8 days long and I am not afraid to make several stops along the way. Thanks for your help and advice.

Tucson, AZ

Default Basic Planning

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

This web site is, of course, jam packed with planning tools, articles and tips. But just as important as having your plans and equipment in order is having your goals well understood. The kind of standard advice most people give here can be summed up as follows:

1) Don't plan on driving more than about 500-500 miles a day. Trying to do more just wears you out and means that you won't have time to stop and see anything along the way. In your case, that means you should plan on taking two days each way.

2) If this is a round trip, use a different route in each direction. This lets you see a different set of attraction each way and helps keep the road fresh.

3) As far as how to go and what to see, your best bet is to get a good set of maps or an atlas and just start marking the places you'd like to see most. Take a look at what's in between them in the way of parks and cities you think you might have a look at. Then just start connecting the dots.

Now in your case, there is one other important consideration. Verbal declarations that you are an American are no longer sufficient to cross the border with Canada. You are going to need proof of your identity and citizenship. In practical terms, this means you will need a passport or, if you don't have one (and it's way too late to get one for this trip!) you will need a government issued photo ID (e.g. driver's license) AND proof of citizenship (e.g. original or certified copy of a birth certificate or naturalization papers) for everybody in the car.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default One more thing that may be important

Just in case you have a blended family, the parent of any children who may be going on this trip who is not going to be present during the border-crossing needs to do a letter that is notarized stating that it is OK for the other parent to take their child across the border.

4. Default Thanks

thanks for the help, I really need it. I am having problems with my passports so I may not go to Canada. I still am planning a road trip, but if I cannot make it to Canada, I will go to San Antonio, TX. I have always wanted to go back to San Antonio, I spent 8 weeks in Air Force basic training, but did not have the opportunity to enjoy the city. more to come

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Passports handy but not yet required

Check out this list of acceptable documents to get back into the US. As you can see, a driver's license and a certified copy of your birth certificate is enough if you're 19 and over. For 18 and under, just a certified birth certificate is needed. So if you really want to go to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, don't let the passport stop you.

However, we would always be glad to help you plan a trip to San Antonio instead. If you have any questions, let us know.

6. Default Thanks

Great!!! I was under the impression that I needed the passport. I will let my family know, then decide which way we are going. again, thanks for the information.