1. Default Driving from Toronto to San Fransisco - Any Tips?

Hi I am driving from Toronto to San Fran at the end of march.

I pretty much know the route I am going to take but need tips regarding the following:

- Where to stay along the way(good motels, food, etc..)
    - How is the weather going to be along the way in late march?
    - How hard am I going to get hit in the pocket from all the toll roads?

I would appreciate any help.

Tucson, AZ

Default One Out of Three

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Sorry, but there are just too many variables involved in you and your trip for anyone to recommend a motel or restaurant. One recurring theme here is that there is no one, all-purpose "best" anything. So without knowing your tastes, your route or your schedule, there's no way anyone can even know where you'll be when it's time to eat or sleep. The best advice we can offer is that if there's been a particular motel chain that has served you well in the past, contact them and get a directory of their locations. If you enjoy something other than the fast-food and standard family style restaurants you'll find at the Interstate exits, take the time to drive into small towns and cities and ask, either on the street or at the local visitor center. If costs are a factor, stop at the welcome centers as you enter each state and check whether they have discount coupons for places on your way.

There's also no way we could know the weather more than a few days in advance. Indeed, March is one of the most unpredictable months on the calendar. If you'd like to check what temperatures are usually like and how much precipitation usually falls in a particular area, then probably the easiest way to look up that information is to check the Weather Channel. Even if you have an accurate forecast when you leave, it is subject to change as you drive along so check on the weather often during your actual drive, and be ready to change your plans accordingly.

The one thing I can tell you is about tolls. Aside from the occasional toll bridge, and assuming you drive to Windsor or Sarnia before entering the U.S., your only toll will be on a short section of the Tri-State Tollway (I-94) south of Chicago, and this should be less than a dollar.

Default Tolls

I don't have many miles under my belt but enough to tell you that any toll way you travel within the US would be CHEAPER then a trip from Pickering to Hamilton on 407.