Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default San Francisco to Grand Canyon.

Hi to all you friends I will probably never meet.
    I am English, live in Australia, and have a Korean wife I met in Israel.
    We are planning a trip in September this year from San Francisco to the Grand Canyon via Yosemite National Park. We intend to do this in a renatal motor home and basically have no idea of distances, driving times or estmated times at places of interest etc. (or what the places of interest on route are !!!)
    It is 20 + years since I have driven in the USA, so any and all types of info would be most appreciated.

hi there!,how long have you with the motor home? this will determine how far you can venture and how long you may wish to spend in each place.
    a popular choice from yosemite would be to leave via the 120 [tioga pass] and head for death valley overnight and then possibly vegas and onto the grand canyon via the hoover dam and possibly take in part of the original "route 66".there are the likes of zion n.p. park and bryce canyon,both beautifull places that you may want to consider, if you have the time.
    will you be starting and finishing in san fran? if so you could head down the eastern side [death valley] and return via the western side through the sequoias. you can get time and distance ideas from a number of route planners[i found windows live local to be good]but remember these will not take into consideration stops for lunch,filling up with gas and all the things you can explore between a and b. also the fact your in an r.v.
    if you wish to camp in some of the national parks it would probably be best to book in advance through there web site:nps.gov. although there not full hook ups they do have shower blocks [to preserve your water on board] and dump stations.the great thing is that there are free shuttle bus services through the parks so you can park up and have a bit of time of from driving.not to mention sitting around the camp fire gazing up at the stars, oh sweet memories,lol.
    we recently done a trip from san fran in an r.v. so you may get some ideas from my report

i hope you have a great trip!
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 02-28-2008 at 05:53 AM.

3. Default San Francisco to Grand Canyon.

As for the time available, this is starting to look lke the old question "How long is a piece of string!". We originally werethinking of taking about 14 days, but this is fairly flexible. Browsing the forum, I have just realised that London Bridge is in the general area we will be visiting, and as I used to walk across this bridge to work every day as a young man, it might be fun to see it again. By the way, did you know that some bodies were reportedly ddiscovered in the foundations while dismantling the bridge?.
    We intend to start in san fran and finish in lv,then we will fly to toronto for the falls.

Default Some Light Reading for You

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With that kind of time you can see pretty much all of the highlights between San Francisco and Las Vegas, and if you're going to be spending time in Northern Arizona, there are several other side trips as well.

AZBuck

5. Default

Thank you AZBuck. I have looked at the links you sugested and several others on the forum, and have realised that this forum is a very dangerous place. Every time I read about a new place, I want to go there. I read the long report posted by Gommy about his trip, and am basically intending to follow his route with a few extras instead of heading back to San Francisco after Las Vegas.

Can someone please tell me what a "Class C RV" is? Here in Australia, and in New Zealand we rank RVs as 2,3,4 berth. Also, is it simple to get a prepaid mobile phone in the US?
    Len

Default hi there.

here this should help classes of r.v's. a 'c' class is what we drove on our trip. the berths will vary depending on size,normally between 22 and 30ft for these.
    thanks for your mail and hope your trip is as enjoyable as ours!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-06-2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Changed the link to one of RTA's articles

Default Prepaid cellphone are everywhere!

You can go into most any big box store, chain convenience store/gas station, etc. and buy a prepaid mobile cellphone. Very easy to get. I just did a websearch for just one brand of prepaid phone to see what stores in my area carry them. I found 10 locations within a few miles from my house. And I live in a tiny town of 8000 people in a rural area. You should have no problems finding them in San Francisco.

8. Default The really stupid question

Thanks Judy and Gommy.
    Our original idea was to do San rancisco to Grand Canyon then fly to Toronto for Niagara Falls. Then I found this forum!!!. I guess I have an attack of information overload.
    The stupid question is this. How long roughly to go from Grand Canyon to Toronto via Yellowstone and what are the highlights ofsuch a trip?

wow! sounds like you caught the bug real bad and that "piece of string" needs to get a lot longer,ha!ha! the estimate for that journey is around 2,800 miles going the most direct routes poss so i guess the highlight would be driving an r.v. 400 miles a day for a week!
    sorry,can't help you with that one.

Default Yeah, 400 miles/day is probably tops in an RV

So it would take you that week to do 2800 miles from Grand Canyon to Toronto via Yellowstone. Of course, you will want to add days to play in Yellowstone and other places along the way. There are many worthy places to explore on that trip but, before we get into that, some questions:
    * Do you have time to do this? How many days can you add to your trip to do this?
    * Will the RV rental company let you take the RV into Canada? And if this is a one-way trip, will they allow a drop-off of the RV somewhere else?
    * The coast of renting an RV for a longer period of time and the fuel costs is probably more than flying would be. Does this fit into your budget?

Just wondering....no sense in spending a lot of time giving you tips for things to see along the way if it's not really gonna work out for ya. So I suggest you find out about this before we explore this option more.