Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Roadtrip Shake down

Our goal is a road trip (San Diego-Florida). We decided on two shakedown trips...overnight run to Palm Springs...then another to Arizona (5-6 days). This is to sort out driving distances (per day),rest stops,likes,dislikes,for group comptabilty,...oh..and logistics,repairs,etc....and who really wants to do this...
    We completed first shakedown Feb 2nd.(30 Corvettes,4 Cobras)....and learned some things..so we are on for 2nd shakedown to Arizona in May...(smaller group,maybe 15-20 Corvettes...)

First shakedown...we did this knowing a big storm was coming by Sunday morning...so half the group returned home Saturday(as planned) and half spent the night in Palm Springs..

Here are some pictures:

A Sirius Satellite radio is great for road trips...weather,news,music..184 channels...

Click on video...

Yep...my wipers failed just when I needed them...but we all made it home ok...

Last edited by Rich Woods; 02-28-2008 at 12:25 AM.

Default You are having way, way, too much fun!

I liked that embedded video clip -- I didn't even know that was possible the way we have set up the permissions on this Forum.... And nice photos too!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    I liked that embedded video clip -- I didn't even know that was possible the way we have set up the permissions on this Forum.... And nice photos too!

Mark
    Thanks Mark...but I took out the first vid and put a second one in...in the first you could hear some oldies music from my satellite radio,and I was not sure that was acceptable...
    Re posting vids, I use photobucket.com for hosting vids/pics...I'm on another forum formated like yours,and figured it would work here...

We are looking forward to our next shake down in May...we will do Prescott, Sedona,Grand Canyon etc and over to Payson...
    Then we can sit down and plan the Florida run and set date.....we know already we will do each day split into two groups..the early birds and the late birds...but all stop at night in same town...

Rich

wow! looks like you had a great time, great cars!

i hope the dog survived,ha!ha! :explanation- in the video you can hear the dog barking,there is a big gap between the cars and then the next lead car accelarates hard[sounded lovely]and then silence,no more barking,lol!

That is what happened....the dog ran off when he heard that Maxi blower on the vette..but came back to bark at me.....lol

A few more pics...it was 34 F going thru mountains...and the Cobra guys froze...lol...

Default Can I use that one?

Rich,

I loved that shot of the cars cruising up the road -- can I use it elsewhere on th site?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Rich,

I loved that shot of the cars cruising up the road -- can I use it elsewhere on th site?

Mark
    Absolutely..and that goes for any I post here...here is another......

Default Cool stuff!

As a veteran of planning roadtrips for my New Beetle group....OK, cute cars but not quite as cool as your Corvettes...I think it's great that you're able to do shake-down trips ahead of your big trip.

I have planned many short caravan trips but it was a challenge to plan one from the PNW to Roswell NM (for a New Beetle car show) without doing a shake-down first and without even knowing most of the folks who were going. It worked out and was fun but, thankfully, there were a few folks who helped me work out glitches along the way.

Oh...a few years back, whatever year it was for the 50 year anniversary for the Corvette...2004?...we were on our way back from one of our caravans to Roswell and was going through the twisty bits on Hwy 6 between Salt Lake City and Green River when a bunch of Corvettes heading toward the big party (in Detroit?) started zipping by. At least I assume that's where they were going. By the time I realized what I was seeing, numerous cars had already gone past. I counted 210, if I remember right. I think I missed counting at least 30 cars before that. Very, very cool.

Hey, Mark, you want photos of long lines of New Beetles on the road? We call it a carabug or a swarm. LOL

Rich, keep us updated on your trip-planning and let us know if we can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    As a veteran of planning roadtrips for my New Beetle group....OK, cute cars but not quite as cool as your Corvettes...I think it's great that you're able to do shake-down trips ahead of your big trip.

I have planned many short caravan trips but it was a challenge to plan one from the PNW to Roswell NM (for a New Beetle car show) without doing a shake-down first and without even knowing most of the folks who were going.

Rich, keep us updated on your trip-planning and let us know if we can help.

Trust me,when you drive a 30 year old car on roadtrips,anything can happen,no matter how prepared...just went thru my engine and ready for our May shakedown...I hope...lol..

As I've read here,it is the "journey"....lol...so type of car is mute...I once rode with my parents in a 1951 Studebaker Champion on parts of Hwy 66...Las Cruces,NM to San Diego,Ca...that was in 1953...my wife and I did 150 miles of hwy 66 in 2002 in the vette via Oakman,AZ...that was awesome...ever been to Witch Well.Arizona ???? Look that one up..lol..
    This is the only buisness for 30 miles in any direction...

I will certainly post up questions once we have route decided...basically, info about stops enroute...places to eat and see...thanks very much...!!!

Rich