Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default San - Fran - LA - Vegas - Yosemite - San Fran

Hi All ,
    New poster to your fantastic site , so please be gentle with me !!
    Could you please glance your eye over my itinery below and give me your thoughts , i.e if its possible and not too rushed

DAY 1) Fly from UK to San fran
    Day 2) San Fran
    Day 3) San Fran
    Day 4) Enroute to LA ( coast route ) stopping overnite halfway ( Ideas ? )
    Day 5) Enroute to LA ( coast route ) Sleeping near six flag theme park (ideas)
    Day 6) Visit Six Flags Theme park all day , Sleeping nearby overnite
    Day 7) Enroute to Vegas , visit Hoover Dam early afternoon , Then Vegas
    Day 8) Vegas
    Day 9) Vegas
    Day10) Enroute to Death Valley ,overnite at possibly Lone Pine or Bishop
    Day11)Enroute to Yosemite
    Day12)Yosemite
    Day13)Yosemite
    Day14)Enroute to San Fran , Fly home to UK

Could you please tell me what roads to use if it were you who were driving and any hints and tips would be most welcome

THANKS GUYS !!

What time of year are you going ? The road accross the Sierra Nevadas into Yosemite (The Tioga Pass) is closed due to snow from October ish to May ish.

3. Default

Not going to Grand canyon?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by UK View Post
    What time of year are you going ? The road accross the Sierra Nevadas into Yosemite (The Tioga Pass) is closed due to snow from October ish to May ish.
    Sorry , going in July .

How long would the grand canyon take up ? or would you be better of taking a helicopter trip from Vegas

Thanks

Default July should be fine for Tioga Pass

Unless we get some real bizarre weather, it should be open.

I can't imagine coming all the way from the UK to Las Vegas and not seeing the Grand Canyon. Personally (no offense to Vegas lovers), I would skip Vegas to see the GC if I had to make a choice. Would you go to London but not see Westminster Abbey or Picadilly Circus or Tower Bridge? Same equivalent, imho.

Personally, while Death Valley is very cool, I would skip that for the GC if I had to. Unless you're into heavy hiking, you could also shave a day off of Yosemite, imho.

But if the only way you can squeeze time in your trip for the GC is via helicopter, go for it. I can't imagine that you'd regret it. You would want two days to drive there. It's about 6 hours or so from Las Vegas.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Unless we get some real bizarre weather, it should be open.

I can't imagine coming all the way from the UK to Las Vegas and not seeing the Grand Canyon. Personally (no offense to Vegas lovers), I would skip Vegas to see the GC if I had to make a choice. Would you go to London but not see Westminster Abbey or Picadilly Circus or Tower Bridge? Same equivalent, imho.

Personally, while Death Valley is very cool, I would skip that for the GC if I had to. Unless you're into heavy hiking, you could also shave a day off of Yosemite, imho.

But if the only way you can squeeze time in your trip for the GC is via helicopter, go for it. I can't imagine that you'd regret it. You would want two days to drive there. It's about 6 hours or so from Las Vegas.
    Hi all

If we went to visit the Grand Canyon , you said its 6 hours each way from vegas , but how long would you need to visit there . Is 24 hours enough time ?

Could you please advise on the following

We would be coming from LA , would it be best to visit north or south rim or is that grand canyon village , and what roads/route should we take comming from LA . how long is the drive from LA

Secondly , once leaving the Canyon depending if we visited north or south rim , what roads/route would we take back to vegas

we are travelling in july so i suppose it will be too hot to hike very far

many thanks guys

Default Do both if you have time

I'm never one to want to retrace the same road going and returning. So, if you can carve time out of your schedule, I would do a loop allowing you to see both rims.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyenglish View Post
    Hi all

If we went to visit the Grand Canyon , you said its 6 hours each way from vegas , but how long would you need to visit there . Is 24 hours enough time ?
    From Los Angeles, you'll want to take I-15, then I-40 to Williams, AZ, then north on 64/180 to the Grand Canyon's South Rim. Just over 500 miles from Six Flags in Valencia. Figure 8-9 hours to get there. It's a great drive, btw, once you get out of the city. I would suggest getting out of the city the night before, after your day at 6 Flags so you won't have to deal with morning traffic. Barstow, CA, might make a nice place to stay that night. It's about 140 miles from 6 Flags. Probably about 3 hours, or a tad less, travel time. But that will really depend on the traffic you hit.

If you stay in Barstow that night, getting to Grand Canyon's South Rim is only about 375 miles, about 6-7 hours. You could enjoy the late afternoon sun at the canyon and sunset (beautiful). Get up early for an equally beautiful sunrise, and drive east on 64. There are numerous lookout points into the canyon along this route and each one gives you a view worth seeing. If you decide to do this, you will want to make your reservations for lodging in the Grand Canyon Village area fairly soon.

Go north on 89 over to the North Rim. The views from the North Rim are quite different than those at the South Rim. It is really worth it to see it from both sides. Head back to 89 and visit Zion National Park. From there, you can hook up with I-15 and head south to Las Vegas.

From the South Rim to Las Vegas is just over 400 miles. If you got up at sunrise and only made relatively quick stops at the North Rim and Zion, you could do this in one day, getting into Las Vegas sometime in the evening. Or you could plan more time for lingering and spend the night ont he way. Choices for this might be either Kanab (if you think you'll be spending a lot of time at the North Rim and save Zion for the next morning) or somewhere closer to St. George (if you think you'll just do a quick whistle-stop at the North Rim and Zion).

Personally, if I were you, I think I would get up at sunrise and then do the whistle-stops at North Rim and Zion with plans to get into Las Vegas late that night (have a reservation ready). It would be a long day but then you could rest a day or two in Vegas before continuing on your trip.

Anyway, this is just one of many good ways to plan this segment of your trip if you decide to squeeze these areas in. I promise you, the scenery you'll see, even just along the drive itself, will not disappoint you.

We would be coming from LA , would it be best to visit north or south rim or is that grand canyon village , and what roads/route should we take comming from LA . how long is the drive from LA
    Grand Canyon Village is the main area at the South Rim.

Secondly , once leaving the Canyon depending if we visited north or south rim , what roads/route would we take back to vegas
    If you decide not to do the North Rim and Zion, you would go back down to I-40 and go north at Kingman on 93. You could make your visit to Hoover Dam along this route. It's about 280 miles. Figure 5-6 hours.

we are travelling in july so i suppose it will be too hot to hike very far
    Yes, it will be hot! But there is plenty to see at the South Rim between the hotels, shops, visitor centers, and scenic viewpoints that you don't need to do major hiking to see some really cool stuff. Same with North Rim and Zion.

I did a similar road trip a few years ago, but i would probably drop one night in vegas and take in the grand canyon

We camped just outside the national park and then made our way there early and spent the day taking in the splendor of it, it truly is breathtaking and i wouldn't miss it if you haven't been before

Default Another Vote for Grand Canyon

Consider flying into Las Vegas from the UK - this gives you an option to go from Manchester, if that's closer to where you live. Wherever you go from, make it a direct flight to your US destination - if you have to connect at one of the 'hubs' (Chicago, fo example) you may miss your connection because of the long process of getting through security and immigation these days. You'll probably have 2 hours between flights, which is often not enough. We missed our connection to LA once and finally arrived there at 8pm. That's 4am to us, and we were *knackered*.

Arriving in Las Vegas gives you an advantage. You can stay in a cheap hotel for the first night, letting your tiredness get the better of you and going to bed early - to you, 4pm local time is midnight, but try to stick it until 8pm local. You'll then wake at about 4-5am local time, and you can set off early for Grand Canyon. You could be there by midday. See Las Vegas on the way back.

Seeing more of Las Vegas at the expense of the Grand Canyon is a decision I'm sure you'd eventually regret. Sacrifice a day in Las Vegas for it.

If you stay in Barstow on your trip, try to find a hotel remote from the railway lines (take a look on Google Earth or the satellite images in Google Maps). They run all night, and are very noisy (you know - that metal-on-metal squeal).

Lone Pine is a good stop-off point after Death Valley. We found it most agreeable. By the time you get there you'll be ready for a rest. Before you set off for Death Valley make sure you have a full tank, and keep your eye on the weather - we were lucky in August 2004 when we passed through Death Valley a day before flash floods washed the road away and killed 2 people. I believe it's now repaired and fully restored.

You can add GCNP south rim to your itinerary but it adds some extra driving and time of course.
    Day 4: We liked Cambria's Moonstone Beach, Morro Bay. Pismo Beach and Avila Beach. You can't go wrong. Maybe Cambria.
    Day 7: LA-GCNP south rim (make your reservations now: www.grandcanyonlodges.com) LA-GCNP will be a 8-9 hours drive with a stop.
    Day 8: All day GCNP
    Day 9: GCNP-Las Vegas. 5 hours drive. Add time for a visit to Hoover Dam. Parking at the Arizona side is free, if you can find a spot.
    Day 10: Las Vegas
    Day 11: Las Vegas-Lone Pine
    Day 12: Lone Pine-Lee Vining (Mono Lake) Tioga Pass-Yosemite
    Day 13: Yosemite NP
    Day 14: San Francisco.
    Choices, choices...
    Yeehaw