Default 2 Weeks; Leaving from Bay Area CA

Hey everyone....My boyfriend and I are taking two weeks in July to take a road trip. I've read some of the other threads and got some great ideas, but I was hoping for some more advice!

We live in the Sonoma/Napa area, we've explored a good amount of California with our own families so we need to get out of state! But we can't decide which way to go; north or south. On one hand, we can go south to Arizona, New Mexico and come back through Nevada. On the other hand, we can go north to Portland, Yellowstone, Big Sky, Montana (I have a friend in Big Sky I'd like to see). I would rather go south, but will the heat be too much?

Also, I should note that my boyfriend and I are planning on mixing up camping and hotels and that we would love to see the natural wonders and get some awesome local food on our trip; night life isn't important for us.

Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks!!

Default Tough call!

Both of those trips would be great. Lots of great places to explore. It comes down to what you want to see most.

Heat? Yes, it will be hot in parts of the Southwest. Elevation makes a difference . Some average July temps per The Weather Channel: Phoenix 104, Flagstaff 82, Albuquerque 92, and Carlsbad 96, for just some examples. The temperatures drop at night. I've camped in most of these areas and haven't been overly hot in my tent. But, then again, I like it hot. The phrase "it's a dry heat" is valid. It's very different than the moister heat you get on the coast.

But it's also going to be warm in the northern areas. Some more average July temps: Billings (no data for Big Sky) 88, Jackson Hole 79, Yellowstone 70.

Should you make your decision based on temperatures alone? I don't think so. But if heat bothers you, you might want to factor it into your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyrayn View Post
    Also, I should note that my boyfriend and I are planning on mixing up camping and hotels and that we would love to see the natural wonders and get some awesome local food on our trip; night life isn't important for us. Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!!
    have you considered east a bit and maybe taking in utah with arizona?
    utah offers plenty of natural wonders such as zion n.p.,bryce canyon and capitol reef.a great scenic drive as well.you could do these in a loop taking in the grand canyon/monument valley etc.

just a thought,have a great trip!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-27-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: removed a little extra white space

Default I'd rather head North

If I were you, I'd head North. But then again, I am not a big fan of "dry heat".

Summer also brings thunderstorms, so, it may not be "that" hot after all. I remember our trip to Arches National Park. We expected 80F & were in shorts & a t-shirt. Guess what? There was this huge thunderstorm & crazy wind that we felt so cold. So, it can be unpredictable!
    But do remember! If you are hitting Yellowstone, you are not in cold country either! You may be aware, the whole area is volcanic & you can get heated up.

We'd been to Yellowstone in May/June & it was very pleasant. We spent about a week there!
    Since you have plans to camp, the weather should be pleasant at nights! I am sure you will have a lovely time. Just stay hydrated! And yeah, I've heard July 4th is the peak season in Yellowstone, so you won't be alone!!!

Portland & Yellowstone are both amazing places. I am sure there will be a lot you can do, despite the heat!

Have fun planning!

cool
    Last edited by cool; 02-28-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: added white spaces