1. Default First Road Trip with little ones...

We are thinking about taking a short road trip, about 4 days in mid March. We have a 5 year old and a 14 month old. This is our first road trip together and I have no idea where to go! We live in Kansas and would like something low key, relaxing, sight seeing, shopping, and fun for kids...can you help me? Thank you!

Tucson, AZ

Default Kid Friendly Within a Day of Salina

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

One area that my wife and I really enjoyed when we visited last year was the Mississippi River including Hannibal, MO (take the Twain Ride); Nauvoo, IL (a restored pioneer town with lots of hands-on activities for kids); ferries across the Big Muddy; wildlife refuges; and St. Louis.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Travel to the Land of Flexibility

When traveling with small children, I can't emphasize enough that having a full itinerary of must-sees is the surest way to have a miserable trip. When my children were that age, the best trips were those where we went in a general direction that we wanted to visit, but went with no real plan. That allowed us time to attend to the kid's needs and make it a fun trip for them without trying to make them adhere to our time-table.

I'm not familiar enough with that area to give you specific trip ideas. But I would like to point you to this discussion which should give you some great ideas to make sure the trip is enjoyable for all of you.