1. Default san fran to vegas

I'm brand new on this site so hi! to everyone!

My boyfriend & I are planning to drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas at the end of March and wondered which is the prettiest/most interesting route. We need to do it in 2 days because we have so much to cram in! (Our final destination is LA to visit my son at Uni there). I have read about Mammoth, Yosemite, Death Valley etc but I'm not sure if that is possible at this time of year. We really would prefer to avoid the major highways.

Hope someone can help

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Limitation

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

2 days will give you a chance to take a quick look at one or two of the spots you've listed. Just remember, you won't be able to use Tioga Pass to cross the Sierra at Yosemite. You'll have to go around via Lake Tahoe or Bakersfield.

We've got hundreds and hundreds of threads about this route, so take a look around for some more ideas. To get you started, take a look at the links provided here.

3. Default

Thanks for getting back to me

I've google mapped it & it suggests going via Lake Tahoe. Will we be OK doing this from a weather point of view? We don't want to risk getting stuck in snow. Could we then stay in somewhere like Bishop?
    Is it worth going via Bakersfield instead?- what's the scenary like going to & from there? I'm sounding really thick, I know but I just can't visualise it. Whenever I look at the map it looks like huge highways.
    Hope I'm not asking too much!
    Thanks again

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default I vote for the Tahoe option!

Mainly because I hate driving the same roads each way. If you go south through Bakersfield to get to Vegas, you'll be going back to LA on most of those same roads. Also, if your desire is to avoid traffic, once you get a few miles past Reno the roads are relatively traffic-free. You definitely get a feeling of solitude when driving through most of Nevada.

Since you've been playing with Google maps, you might want to make use of the "avoid highways" button. It's on the left side of the screen, just below the "search results" tab. It will definitely give you some good non-highway options.

I would probably give myself a couple of choices to allow for weather. Choice 1 going to Lake Tahoe via secondary roads. Choice 2 being crossing over to Reno via I-80. If inclement weather happens around the time of your trip, you might want to do I-80 just to get over the Sierras. As a major interstate, this road will be safer and cleared quicker if there is a big snow. Check the weather reports and the California-DOT for road conditions right before you leave and take whichever route is most appropriate.