1. Default *ADVICE NEEDED* spring road trip starting frm WEST BEND, WI

OK so well im a senior in highschool, and i would like to just get in my car and drive and take a road trip with a few buddies for spring break. i just want to hit the road for hopefully like 5 days and then have to come back. Spring break starts on March 21st and ends March 31st so im hoping to just get on the road and just drive and have fun and see what there is so see and experience. Im looking to head like west or south west doesnt really matter. ive read the book into the wild and it just seems like sucha awesome experience that he had up to his death, i really admire what he did, it makes me wanna just hit the road and see what happens. so im looking for any help and advice from anybody that knows what there doing and how to go about doing this or just go and see what happens. so any help will be greatly appreciated

Default not quite that easy

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I do find it a bit amusing that people are inspired to do a roadtrip by a story about someone who died while traveling to get away. I guess that's the power of storytelling though...

Anyway, you don't have to plan every detail of a trip, but there are some things you should decide before you take off. Start by making sure that you and your fellow travelers are on the same page. Then take a look at what options you really have in terms of money, time, and transportation. You don't have to have a list of exact places you want to go, but you probably want to at least have some ideas of things you'd be interested in seeing.

If you have a solid base where you know what you are looking for and how you'll make it happen, you really can take your trip as it goes and chose your destinations as you go.

Default I loved "Into the Wild", too

While I admire his wanderlust, he kinda lost me when he ditched his car. I'm too into the freedom of the road to do that!

But his trip is a cautionary tale as well. Always have a good back-up plan!

Getting in the car and just driving is a great way to do a roadtrip. It's not the destination, it's the journey. Someone wrote here recently about some friends literally coming to each intersection and deciding if they were going right, left, or straight. Heck, you could just flip a coin. It might make for an interesting adventure.

In advance, to make sure you complete the trip safely, have your checked out and get any necessary repairs taken care of, top the fluids, and check your tires. Make a budget so you have enough money for your trip....this doesn't have to be intricate or boring but you will need more than spare change. Throw some good supplies in the car, fill a cooler with food, and take some basic camping gear, and a map (just so you can find your way home) and go!

I think your back-up plan is to make sure you have enough money to get home on. That's it. Enjoy your adventure!

4. Default

thanks for all the advice so far we really have been talking about this and going for sure but i would like to just hit the road and see what happens but some of my buddies want to pick a place and hit the road and so i think we are lookin at maybe heading to colorado for now and just seeing stuff along the way and have things to do. it just should take about 15 hours from what i looked at and even if we took our time. i would much rather to just drive and get wherever but im so excited i just want to hit the road right now...

thanks for the help

Default Spoiler alert!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doughboy_145 View Post
    ive read the book into the wild and it just seems like sucha awesome experience that he had up to his death
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    a roadtrip by a story about someone who died while traveling to get away.
    Really? He dies in the end? Don't spoil it for me! What happened to Hollywood and happy endings? I was planning to see that film tonight.

Don't worry - I'd read it really. Fantastic book. But my wife half-killed me when I started talking about his death while we were planning to go and see the film. To me it's like La Vie en Rose (Edith Piaf) and Control (Ian Curtis) - everyone knows the ending, but I guess some don't.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-27-2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Additional info

Default AKA as a Jackass

ive read the book into the wild and it just seems like sucha awesome experience that he had up to his death, i really admire what he did,
    I, for one, have zero respect for someone who is unable or unwilling to prepare themselves for dealing with the realities of the natural world. I have never thought that suicide-by-default is ever a justified way to embrace this life.
    it makes me wanna just hit the road and see what happens
    Hitting the road and seeing what happens is fine and in fact, you ought to read this series of field reports being filed by two brothers who are on the road right now and "seeing what happens" -- a big difference -- they are well prepared and appreciate both the challenges and the wondrous effects of being out there.

Mark

Default Real Time

we are lookin at maybe heading to colorado for now and just seeing stuff along the way and have things to do. it just should take about 15 hours from what i looked at and even if we took our time.
    Just a warning that the time estimates you are looking at online likely nowhere close to what it will actually take. Once you factor in even basic stops, you'd be looking at 18+ hours to get to Denver. That's a solid 2 days, really before you stop to do much anything along the way.

I think setting a general goal/destination of Colorado is a great idea, but if you want the kind of trip you've talked about, I really wouldn't worry about how many hours it takes to get from point a to point b. When you focus on "getting somewhere" especially when you start looking at the hours it take, its too easy to overlook what you are seeing on your way to get there. Just take things as they go, stop when you see something interesting or just feel like a break and see where the road takes you!

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    I, for one, have zero respect for someone who is unable or unwilling to prepare themselves for dealing with the realities of the natural world. I have never thought that suicide-by-default is ever a justified way to embrace this life.
    While it was a fascinating book, I credit that more to good writing than I do to McCandless. I'm still trying to figure out how he survived the boat journey. Beginner's luck, I guess.

And this is why I provided doughboy the link to the supplies discussion. You know I'm big on being prepared! LOL

9. Default

i know you may not have respected him cuz he was not well prepared but just the story of his life and what he did up to it, was just amazing and to go through life the way he was able to, and not be one of the people that gets sucked in to society and did what he felt like he needed to do. "its not important to be strong, but to feel strong" that is just a crazy thing when you think about it, when i posted this it wasnt about him but i was just amazed by his way of life and he didnt care what anybody else thought of him.....

its cool to see what others think of him cuz i know everybodys opinion on it is diffrent.