1. Default Driving from Los Angeles to Taos - Tips?

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about hopping in my car and driving from Los Angeles to Taos, New Mexico. It'll be a spring road trip, and likely to happen mid-March or so. Mapquest tells me I have about 13 hours of driving ahead of me. I would appreciate ideas for a good place to stay in Taos -- by good I mean reasonably priced in a centrally-located, beautiful area within walking distance of some of the main attractions in Taos. I enjoy a good bed & breakfast but I'm open to other suggestions as well. What are the top 10 things that a newcomer to Taos needs to see? And are there things on the way there that I should see as well?

Thank you for your input!

Diana

Default Politely: No

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I cringe when I see people proffer those MapQest estimates of time.... Sorry, that is simply not going to happen. While we get the occasional young masochistic type posting here bragging about how they did even better than such estimates, the sad truth is that those times have nothing to do with reality, especially over the long haul. The drive in front of you is over 900 miles and you need to be thinking in terms of days (2), not hours.

I have been to Taos, and my two favorite sites were the Taos Pueblo and the Kitt Carson Home and Museum. To be honest, most of what I did other than that consisted of walking the town and sitting in the town square and parks, reading and waiting while my wife shopped. There are other web sites that are more into giving reviews of individual hotels and other accommodations. I really am loathe to do so, both because tastes are so diverse and because the level of service, especially at B&Bs is so subject to rapid change. In fact two of my favorite such places in New England went out of business shortly after I patronized them (Coincidence?). Running a good B&B is exhausting work. The place we stayed in Taos was a privately rented casita. I tried to find it on the web just now and don't see it. Another one bites the dust!

AZBuck
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-25-2008 at 05:20 PM.

3. Default Driving from Los Angeles to Taos - Tips?

AZBuck,

Thanks for the quick response. [Edit] I'm thinking in terms of 2 days of driving, as you suggested.

I appreciate hearing about the Taos Pueblo and the Kitt Carson Home. If anyone else has something more to add, I would appreciate your input as well.

Thanks!

Diana
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-25-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Let's keep it friendly on here

Default Places to eat in Taos

Quote Originally Posted by DJQuist View Post
    I would appreciate ideas for a good place to stay in Taos -
    I haven't stayed there in a long time other than in a RV, but I do know some places to check out for outstanding food fare...The Anaconda Bar at the El Monte Sagrado Resort is pretty outstanding, with some unusual treatments of duck. The resort, itself is a little expensive but very nice. Much more casual is the DragonFly Cafe -- great food, but you have to plan on leisurely dining....
    I don't know if Taos Pizza Out Back is still open -- but if it, it has some of the best hand-rolled pizza in the area -- signage is almost non-existent -- another place to check out is the Zen Ranch at the Overland Sheepskin Compound.

Mark

5. Default Eating in Taos

Mark,

Thanks for the restaurant ideas. Appreciate it.

Diana

Default LA to Taos

Hello Diana

I grew up in Santa Fe, just two hours from Taos. Taos has loads to offer, but Santa Fe has more. Taos would be a good side trip from SF. I would be happy to recommend several places in SF if you want to check it out.

Sarah

7. Default Taos & Santa Fe

Hi Sarah,

Yes, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Santa Fe. Both destinations have been on my "must see" list for a long time. Thank you!

Diana

Default Resources on this Forum

Quote Originally Posted by DJQuist View Post
    And are there things on the way there that I should see as well?
    There are about 194 threads on the forum that address Taos and Santa Fe. Here are few to get you started:

AZ Buck's recommendations for Taos and NM

I would certainly recommend a visit to Chimayˇ, an ancient healing sanctuary in the mountains.

Judy's southwest suggestions

Bob's post in this thread has some ideas

Also be sure to look at the bottom of any page you look at for more links to more threads.

Mark