1. Default One way car rental

I know people have been asking about this before, but I haven't found any recent posts.
    I want to rent a car in Los Angeles and drive to New York, starting May 25 and ending June 16. I currently live in NYC, would like to fly to LA, and then drive all the way back to NYC.
    The problem as you might suspect is that every car rental company that I have found charge at least $1000 extra for leaving the car in NYC. So my question is: is there any way to work around this problem and avoid paying the drop-off fee? Considering that a 3 week rental in NYC would be about $1200, the extra $1000 fee is quite significant.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default shopping around

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

$1000 sounds a little high, and you might be able to find a somewhat lower fee just by shopping around a little more.

Other than looking high and low for the best deal, there's really not much you can do. One way drop off fees are standard in the rental car industry, and the farther away from your pickup point, the higher the fee you'll expect to pay.

3. Default Solution

FYI: I found out that if I rent from a city office instead from an airport and return it to another city office, the one way drop-off fee is about $300 instead of $1000!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default good to hear

I'm glad to hear you were able to find a more reasonable price.

$300 sounds like a great deal, I would have expected around a $500 fee, depending upon the company.