Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Las Vegas to San Francisco

Hi,

My boyfriend and I will be in the US at the beginning of April for a trip starting from Las Vegas and ending in Los Angeles.
    We are having problems organising the first part of our trip, as we are not familiar with the roads in America and we also realise that distances are incredible over there!
    In the first 5/6 days or so we would like to visit the following destinations (starting frrom Las Vegas):

• Grand Canyon
    • Yosemite Park
    • Death Valley

and finally end up in San Francisco (on the 5th or 6th day).

I was wondering if you could suggest the best route/plan to visit all these places in such a short period of time.

I would be very grateful if you could help!

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
    Federica

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

You may want to check out this recent article, detailing some day trips out of Las Vegas. As the article mentions, you will not be able to get to the Grand Canyon and back in a single day from Las Vegas if you are driving.

3. Default

Thank you for yuor prompt reply!

We would actually like to go to the Gran Canyon and stay for the night, leaving Las Vegas behind for good.
    From the Grand Canyon we are not sure what we can reach though. What would it be the best place to stop between the Grand Canyon and the Death Valley (without going back to LV)? Or do you think that we could manage to drive to the Death Valley directly? Is it too far?
    From there, I suppose we can go to Yosemite Park and then continue to San Francisco.
    Is there any place you suggest we should really visit?
    Thanks again for your help!

hi there,i would imagine it's around 6 1/2 hours journey time between g/c and d/v but the most direct route will take you back to vegas anyway. in case your not aware i will say that if you are taking hwy 395 north from death valley to yosemite you will almost certainly find the 120 entrance[tioga pass]near lee vining closed at this time of year.
    furnace creek inn or the ranch are popular choices for an overnighter in death valley.
    hope you have a great trip!

5. Default

Thanks for your reply!
    Well, I suppose we can leave LV very early and go the Grand Canyon, have a good look around and stay there for the night. In the late morning we could drive to D/V (even if it's a long drive we can relax in the evening maybe watching the sunset!), spend the night and have a look around there in the morning. Then I think we could go to Yosemite Park. Does it sound right?

Default Not really possible

Quote Originally Posted by missmeow View Post
    Well, I suppose we can leave LV very early and go the Grand Canyon, have a good look around and stay there for the night. In the late morning we could drive to D/V (even if it's a long drive we can relax in the evening maybe watching the sunset!), spend the night and have a look around there in the morning. Then I think we could go to Yosemite Park. Does it sound right?
    First, the road into Yosemite NP from the eastern side of the mountains is closed for snow. You can reach Yosemite from DV, but you have to drive around the southern end of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. I really think you are trying to drive too far each day. LV to Grand Canyon is 5-6 hours, Grand Canyon back to DV (it is shortest if you go back through LV again) 6-9 hours, DV to Yosemite 7-8 hours.

Mark

7. Default

Mark,
    Thanks for this.
    I suppose we will have to stop on the way to each destination then. Any suggestions? I would like to optimise the time we have, as we really should be in San Francisco on the 6th day (or 7th at the latest) of our trip, with day 1 being when we leave LV.
    Do you think it's going to be possible? Thanks again for your help.

8. Default San Franciscto to LA

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest where to stop, apart from Monterey/Carmel, on the way to LA from San Francisco. Is it really worthy to make another stop or would it be better to go straight from Monterey or Carmel to LA, via State Route 1?
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-20-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Merged to keep all threads about the same trip together

Default so much more

The Pacific Coast Highway is famous because there are so many places where you can stop. Hurst Castle, Big Sur, and Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, are just a few of the gems along the stretch before you get to Morro Bay. There are also beaches and all sorts of other things along the way

Quote Originally Posted by missmeow View Post
    Mark,
    Thanks for this.
    I suppose we will have to stop on the way to each destination then. Any suggestions? I would like to optimise the time we have, as we really should be in San Francisco on the 6th day (or 7th at the latest) of our trip, with day 1 being when we leave LV.
    Do you think it's going to be possible? Thanks again for your help.
    the best way i can think of,given the tioga pass situation would be to have a day trip from vegas to death valley and back to vegas,head out to the grand canyon early next day and spend the night. the following day head for barstow/bakersfield for an over night stop and then head on to yosemite for 2nights[poss staying somewhere close the first night like oakhurst].the 6th day your on your way to san fran. still a lot of driving but i'd say doable,although if you can spare the 7th day it could give you an extra night at the grand canyon. hope this helps,good luck!