1. Default Graduation Road Trip

Graduation from high school is right around the corner and I'm thinking about doing a road trip during the summer. starting in Washington state. i will be starting out in Washington, and want to travel down along the coast through Oregon and California with 1 or 2 friends. i am not interested in taking in the sights from inside of a car, so i want to allow time to stop and enjoy different places. me and my friends will be looking to spend a lot of time outside, in the sun, at the beach, camping, etc. where are some cool destinations to stop at along this route? interesting activities? towns with interesting people? (places of 420 acceptance are a plus). i was thinking around 10-12 days for this trip. is that enough time? i would like a nice relaxing road trip with a not a lot of stressing about time constraints.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

That sounds like a decent amount of time, depending on just how far you want to go. The further you go, of course, the more time you will have to spend in the car, and the more constraints you will impose upon yourself.

You'll want to check out our Planning Pages and also have you and your friend(s) take our Compatibility Quiz.

You should not only be concerned about time constraints, but budgetary constraints as well. The "big three" are lodging, fuel, and food. You will have to figure out what kind of mileage your vehicle gets if you haven't already, where you plan to do most if not all of your lodging, and budget for sustenance as well.

Relaxation is a state of mind. I can remember a recent trip where we were stuck in a traffic jam and were still very relaxed due to not having rushed getting out there. But that was because we knew how much time it would take to get from point a to point b and allowed ourselves plenty of time.

Central California

Default Not too far

At a relaxed pace, my guess is that you won't get to California, or at least not much south of Eureka.

There are many interesting towns along the way and they all have things to recommend them. Just in Oregon, starting with Astoria (Fort Clatsop, Maritime Museum), Seaside, Cannon Beach, Lincoln City, Newport (Aquarium), Tillamook (Cheese Factory), Florence (Sea Lion Caves, Sand Dunes), Coos Bay, Gold Beach and Brookings. There are wonderful beaches and campgrounds at just about all the state parks along the way. You could easily spend all your time in just this stretch of coastline.

If you have an extra day or two, the Redwood National Park(Jedediah Smith Redwoods) near Crescent City, CA and the Avenue of the Giants, south of Eureka, CA are big-tree highlights. And for the most Victorian architecture, stop in Ferndale, CA.

To get the inside scoop on all there is in this area, get a guidebook or contact the state travel and tourism departments for detailed information.

This area is one of the most picturesque in the country so if any or all of you like to sketch or photograph, you'll have an even greater time.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years