Thread: TX to...?

1. Default TX to...?

I'm new to this site and I'm hoping to get some much needed advice. My best friend and I are trying to "plan" a roadtrip for spring break... The problem is, we can't decide on where to go. We would be leaving from the DFW metroplex (Dallas/Ft.Worth). We aren't looking to be in the car the ENTIRE break, so anything that is within 8-16 hours or less would be great. Please help! P.S. We like adventure and trying new things, but seeing as how we are young females...we don't want to travel anywhere that is going to put us in an awkward situation (i.e. some small "country" town) Thanks in advance!

Default cities

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I have to start by saying that I'm always facinated by perceptions. Is there any reason you think you'd be in more danger in a small "country" town than in a big "urban" city?

What are you interested in seeing or doing on this trip? You mentioned seeing "new" things, but you haven't said what you have done in the past, so its hard to make good judgements from that.

In a real broad scope, if you are looking for traditional spring break beach locations, South Padre Island, TX or Panama City, FL would be options. If you are looking for new cities to explore, Santa Fe, Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis, Nashville, or Atlanta all would be within your range. If you are looking at nature, Big Bend, White Sand, Carlsbad Caverns, Smokey Mountains, or Mamoth Cave National Parks would all be within your reach.

You might also want to check out this similar thread of another spring breaker looking for ideas from Austin
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-19-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added link info

3. Default

Sorry about that Michael. I didn't mean anything by it, other than small towns concern me. I'm an African American/French/Native American female and have some preconceived notions of these areas. Despite that, I really am an open minded individual. I apologize if you took offense. Thanks for the suggestions; they sound great. I have gone camping before and have no real "want" to go to the beach. We both love art, historic sites, beautiful landscapes, bohemian style clothing, as well as coutoure, and LOVE to shop (however, this being a road trip, we will definitely be on a budget).
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-19-2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Un-Bold Text

Default New Mexico

I wasn't offended, we just get lots of different perceptions of what is "safe." In reality, most everywhere in the US is safe, if you are using some common sense.

I actually think Santa Fe and Albq could be a great idea considering your interests. This thread has some great ideas to check out.

Default N Mexico is the way to go

I agree with Midwest Michael. I think that Sante Fe and some of the surrounding parts of New Meixco would be the way to go.

And I would personally recommend a stop at Big Bend National Park for a day as well. You said that you also like landscapes and Big Bend is my favorite national park. It is pretty isolated, but there are several small places surrounding it where you can stop for some culture and beautiful scenery.

My family has driven DFW to Albuquerque several times. Although it has been awhile so I can't really be specific about what is on the route. But I do remember that it is less than a two day drive so you will be able to take your time and really enjoy your trip.

Hope that helps.

Before I even read either of those comments replying to what you had in mind, Santa Fe came to my mind..

Ive made this drive a few times, and we took the route up through Amarillo.. I dont remember it being too special, but as I recall I wasnt trying to hard to see the sights.. So im sure it can be a fun drive.

Looking at a map, I think going down toward big bend would be a wonderful idea, I personally want to do that sometime! Then you could make your way up through Carlsbad (the amazing caverns they have) and Roswell (the spoofy alien theme/museums the town has).. Then Find yourself in Santa Fe, and there is plenty to do there. Just a little comentary on what I think!

Good Luck!!

7. Default Best way onto route 66 from Texas...? First Time Roadtripper!

My friend and I are traveling from Arlington,Texas to Santa Fe, New Mexico for spring break. I've been hearing a lot about route 66 and how beautiful/historic it is. Is there a route onto this historic highway from Texas without having to travel "out of the way"?

Default On the Way

Route 66 basically follows the path where I-40 currently lies. The highway was officially decommissioned years ago, but there are still sections where it is signed as "Historic Route 66."

This Field Report has some great resources to help you explore the "Mother Road."

Quote Originally Posted by franshun81 View Post
    My friend and I are traveling from Arlington,Texas to Santa Fe, New Mexico for spring break. I've been hearing a lot about route 66 and how beautiful/historic it is. Is there a route onto this historic highway from Texas without having to travel "out of the way"?
    Yes, I do remember between amarillo and albequerquie on I-40, there being some historic route 66 signs...