1. Default Southern Cities Trip

I'm interested in moving to the south from NY in a couple of years. I'm looking to visit 5 - 10 southern US cities... possibly flying to Atlanta or somewhere and Florida then driving west along the Gulf and through Texas and making 5-10 stops to spend a couple of days in a varying degree of cities to get a feel for the different lifestyle choices that southern cities could offer me.

Does any have any suggestions for some good stops?

I'm looking for cities that are suburban. I live in a fast paced city and I'm looking to slow down. I think I'd still enjoy being semi-near the resources of a city. I had been considering Talahasee (sp?), FL or somewhere in LA or Texas... possibly as far west as a suburb of Vegas. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default Try These Perhaps

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

While I've not travelled extensively in that part of the country, I have made a few RoadTrips and visits to other cities on business. In addition, my sister and brother-in-law recently looked to retire to that general area and had criteria similar to yours: quiet town near a large city with a good airport and stimulating activities. They ended up in Davidson, NC largely because of the local University and proximity to Charlotte. I have been to Tallahassee (FSU) and while the Gulf generally is not my cup of tea due to the heat and humidity in the summers, it and Baton Rouge (LSU) are another two possibilities. If you're looking a little farther west, I have some friends from Texas who can't stop singing the praises of Austin, so that's definitely worth a look. There are certainly some slower paced towns on the lower Mississippi such as Natchez and Vicksburg. So there's half a dozen possibilities. I'm sure there are more and with about a third of the country open to you, I don't envy you the task of finding a new home.

Keithville, LA

Default I second Austin

Also, Little Rock is supposed to be fairly nice. Shreveport/Bossier City, my hometown, is an up and coming area and is growing very fast. I've also heard from several people that they like Birmingham, AL. Also, Tyler and Longview, Texas come to mind as smaller more suburban cities. And Tyler is only a couple of hours away from Dallas.

Central California

Default Further west

I'll add Albuquerque and Santa Fe to the list. They don't have the heat of the Gulf states. In fact they have some cold in the winter, but not the nasty weather of the Northeast. (I left Kansas City and moved to Colorado Springs many years ago for much the same reason).

Also, I have friends who are considering Tucson, but the heat there in the summer can be over 115°, even though it is "dry heat." Still, it is a nice city (don't expect to see many green grass lawns there - mostly natural cactus landscaping).

Another town even further west that I like is Palm Springs, CA. Yes, it gets hot there, too, but the feel of the city is very pleasant and laid back.

Have a great trip, and good luck in your search for a new home. I hope for your sake that the prices stay low. However, we want to sell our home in the next couple of years and travel fulltime in our RV, so for our sake I hope the prices skyrocket! We can't both win!

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

Default Dixie

How much time you have for this trip?
    Your looking for a city to live in? or visit the ole south?

First thing...Atlanta is not slow paced at all.
    (in case your expecting to see Tara)

To live in without too much of a shock for a NY'er...
    Knoxville, TN *
    Chattanooga, TN
    Charlotte, NC *
    Savannah, GA *
    Tallahassee, FL
    Pensacola, FL *
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Huntsvilee, AL *
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tyler , TX

Now to visit for ole south living...

Any town west of Atlanta to Dallas/Houston would be more like the south you see on TV.
    East of Atlanta and up is more cosmopolitan.
    Biloxi, MS
    Vicksburg, MS *
    Lafayette, LA
    Columbus, MS
    Memphis, TN
    Alexandria, LA
    Greeneville, TN *
    Macon, GA
    Columbus, GA
    Anniston, AL
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Dothan, AL
    Valdosta, GA
    Meridian, MS *
    Hattiesburg, MS *
    Mobile, AL
    Pensacola, FL
    Destin, FL *

* = my favs

PS...stay away from any city that someone complaines about not being on this list.