1. Default I need advice...

Two months ago my friend and I flew to Ireland. I came to see another country and just have a great time, but now I'm ready to return to the States, but not to my home in California. I got the great idea that I could fly into one of the main cities on the east coast, New York or Washington DC, buy a really cheap car and spend about a month traveling the US, making my way back to California. So, I've never done anything like this so I'm not sure how to plan for my trip. I don't have much money so I figured I could sleep in my car and if necessary, find a temporary job if and when I run out of money. What kind of things should a 22-year-old female consider when traveling cross country on her own? Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.

Default Not the sort of a "plan" that usually works

Quote Originally Posted by Hannaho View Post
    I got the great idea that I could fly into one of the main cities on the east coast, New York or Washington DC, buy a really cheap car and spend about a month traveling the US
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Traveling around the US for only a month using a "cheap" used car sounds extremely expensive to me. It is extremely unlikey that you can find a cheap car that would drive that far and you would certainly lose money on the deal when you attempted to sell it in California. We respond to similar queries quite often and I can just about guarantee you that your costs will be less if you rent a new car versus trying to keep a cheap, old car running as you drive west.
    I don't have much money so I figured I could sleep in my car and if necessary, find a temporary job if and when I run out of money.
    Sleeping in your car could be fine -- but you would really be much safer if you camped as you went.
    What kind of things should a 22-year-old female consider when traveling cross country on her own? Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.
    First, solo women travel across the USA all of the time. Many regulars on this Forum are intrepid solo adventurers.

Here are some posts that you might find helpful:

Budgeting ideas
    Eating out of Cooler on the road
    Solo Women on the road
    Camping tips
    Solo tips by Judy
    Trip Report from first-time solo traveler

Mark

Default Another thing...

Another thing about buying a car in the North and East is that they tend to have lived under harsh conditions, with road salt and potholes being the law of the land rather than an occasional inconvenience. To get something that would be considered cheap enough to pull this off would be to get a car with questionable credentials at best.