1. Default Tamiami Trail in South Florida

I plan on driving from Ft. Myers Beach to Marathon, FL next month. I've crossed the state on I-75 (Alligator Alley) a few times so I know what to expect. This time I'm thinking of taking US41 (Tamiami Trail). Is this a good idea? Anything to recommend for or against this route? Driving time is not a concern.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I've only been on a portion of the Tamiami, during a solo trip a few years back. What I do remember from that time was that there was very little traffic (it was late Feb - early March, though), and that the surroundings were really interesting, heading towards the Everglades, etc. That's relative to my New England routes, of course.

The road also passes what is allegedly the smallest post office in the country, the Ochopee P.O.

With time at your disposal, I would definitely shunpike it and take the Tamiami.

Default No reason not to

I drove part of Tamiami Trail this very afternoon. No reason not to go that way - be sure to stop off and do the tram tour at the Everglades NP off this route - but be sure to keep your speed down along the way... the local law enforcement community were out in force!

4. Default Thanks for the advice

Tim, Craig

Thanks for the first hand information. I'm looking forward to trying the Tamiami. I had noticed the Everglades Nat. Park on the map; I will definitely stop there.

Thanks again.

Default No worries

There's also the Big Cypress Preserve and a LOT of airboat operators along the road. After you have passed the Everglades entrance I'd suggest that you continue along to the interstate/toll road before turning south towards the Keys. I came up from the Keys to Sarasota in November and came across country through Homestead... that stretch is painfully slow...