Thread: Denver to ?

1. Default Denver to ?

Hello all

I am going to be in Denver in early June for a business trip and would like to extend my stay for an extra 8-10 days to enjoy a classic American roadtrip.

So my question is, if you could plan the ideal roadtrip starting in Denver, in which direction would you head and where would you end up 8-10 days later? (I can get a return flight home from any finishing point)

Thanks for your time :-)

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

My personal preference would be to head to the South and West of Denver and travel through Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico, stopping at some of my favorite places:

Bryce Canyon
    Grand Canyon

You could head South from there into Flagstaff and even Phoenix, if so inclined, then East into New Mexico and Albuquerque and Santa Fe, then back up to Denver, making this a nice loop trip.

3. Default

Thanks for the advice! I am going to take you up on that! I am going to go via Monument Valley, Zion, Grand Canyon to Vegas then loop back up to Denver to get my return flight.

Thought about heading to Roswell, any thoughts on this?

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Alien alert!

Roswell is a hoot. A cute little town that really enjoys its connection to all things alien, even the light posts! But is it worth a visit during your trip? Well, let's work through this puzzle....

Denver to Monument Valley: This drive could be done in a day but then you'd be zipping past some amazing places. You could easily spend a week just driving this leg of the trip. If you take I-70 and then go south at 191, you'll be going past Vail, Glenwood Springs, Arches NP, Moab, and Canyonlands NP. All worth stopping at. (And this is just one of several routes you could take, all with amazing stuff to see.)

Monument Valley to Las Vegas (via Grand Canyon...and it's worth it to visit both the more famous South Rim and the lesser-visited North Rim, Zion, and Bryce Canyon...don't forget this one, it's my personal favorite!): For this leg, you're looking at a minimum of three days, and that would just be a whistle-stop look at these wonderful places. Four or five days would be better to allow time for some short hikes, etc.

Las Vegas back to Denver: There are several options to make this drive. Each has merit and you can't make a wrong choice.
    * You could drive east on I-40 to Gallup and Albuquerque, then north through Santa Fe and Taos, and then up through the heart of the Rockies with stops at places like Leadville. Minimum three days, more needed for in-depth exploration.
    * You could drive to 4 Corners with a stop at Canyon de Chelly, and then onto Mesa Verde, Durango, Ouray and the Million Dollar Highway, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and more. Again, minimum of three days, preferably more.
    * And several other options but I don't want to confuse you further at this point.

To get to Roswell from Las Vegas, is about 780 miles and would take you the better part of two days...especially if you enjoy some of the wonderful places to stop along the way. While you're down there, it would be a shame to not go further south to Carlsbad Caverns and you might enjoy the nearby attractions like White Sands and Fort Sumner/Clovis with its Billy the Kid historical connections, and more.

If you just want to do quick whistle-stops and cram in as much as possible, then going to Roswell might be worth it. But if you want to explore the places you're seeing in a bit more depth, it probably wouldn't be.

It's a tough call and one only you can make. I encourage you to pour over either paper or electronic maps to get an idea of what there is to see, read through the forums, and continue to ask questions to help us help you fine-tune your travel plans. Happy planning!