Default Relocating - Seattle to San Diego

Hi all,

I am currently in Seattle and work as a business analyst. I like this place but the weather really really gets on my nerves. So, I have this wonderful opportunity to relocate to San Diego.

I own a 2008 Toyota Yaris and plan to drive to SD with 2 suitcases, a toaster oven, a Brita water jug and a few other tid-bits. Oh, before I forget, I am also looking forward to some company on this road trip. So if any seattleite wants to join me for a one-way road trip, respond ASAP.

I plan to leave Seattle on/around 28th February. Am in no particular rush to get there but I feel I might as well get there quickly because most probably I will be driving alone. I have family in Santa Cruz and plan to stay with them for 1-2 days before moving further on.

My list of Q's:

1. Is it safe to drive alone all the way?
    2. Best time of the day to leave Seattle so as to attempt to reach Santa Cruz same day/night.
    3. ^^^If not possible^^^, where to stay along the way in Oregon/NoCal?
    4. How much should I expect to pay for gasoline?
    5. Any other suggestion/recommendation.

Thanks in advance for your inputs. Oh, BTW, I am 28 years old, Male, of Indian origin and am considered excellent company by most of my family/friends.

Cheers

rev_hard

Quote Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
    1. Is it safe to drive alone all the way?
    2. Best time of the day to leave Seattle so as to attempt to reach Santa Cruz same day/night.
    3. ^^^If not possible^^^, where to stay along the way in Oregon/NoCal?
    There's nothing wrong with driving the whole way yourself, but you do have to limit yourself a little more. That means stopping a few more times and covering less distance per day. Because of that, I wouldnt' try to make it all the way to Santa Cruz in one day. I would shoot for stopping at Medford, OR, but if you still feel like you've got a lot of energy left in you, you could try to extend yourself and make it to Redding. Since its midweek in the winter, reservations should not be an issue at all.

4. How much should I expect to pay for gasoline?
    Check out the RTA Fuel Cost Calculator, but I would say $130 would be in the ballpark.

3. Default Comments...

I've done the Seattle to LA/ OC (and vice versa) road trip probably more than a dozen times, including at least 3 both ways as a solo driver. (When you have friends and family and work at both ends.. you do the trip a lot..)

Is it safe? In general yes, particularly if you stick to the I-5 and other main highways, and don't do something stupid. The road is well patrolled, has lots of services over most of the way, and is in general, in very good condition (like most interstates in the US). A couple of things to note though -- bring a cell phone (just in case), have a working credit card (also just in case, to get repairs or rent a hotel room), and be aware of safe driving conditions. That includes not driving in inclement weather if it happens (going 80 mph through heavy, icy, fog could be rather dicey), and not pushing yourself if you get tired (rent a motel room in a reasonable establishment). And I'd stay in a reasonable hotel, instead of trying to catch a catnap in the car before heading on...

Don't try to make Santa Clara in one night. From Seattle its a full, long, and very tiring day to make it to the Yreka to Redding area. Trying to push another 3-5 hours down the road is going to be heading for danger. To make the Yreka to Redding area, you'll want to start early to avoid rush hour traffic out of Seattle and through Portland at the end of the day. I'd recommend staying somewhere like Ashland or Grants Pass the first night, and then push to Santa Clara the next day.