1. Default Maryland to California in Late March

I've decided to let my wanderlust get the better of me, and I am relocating to SoCal. I'm not sure where, but somewhere I can see water, and enjoy great weather. To kick it off I want to take a road trip from Maryland to Cali. Here are a few questions.

1. I am a single woman in her 30's, I can go alone or with other likeminded wanderlust folks, how would you recommend I safely find those folks?

2. Its about the journey not the destination. When I get to Cali I get there, so whats the best way to save money?

3. If I do go alone, what things should a single, black woman need to know? I do believe that I only meet great people, and that' s my intention, so anything that's just to keep me comfortable and in a safe state of mind would be appreciated.

4. I'm renting a car, that I'll pick up in MD and drop in CA. Any thoughts on any good deals.

5. My timeline is late March after the spring break madness, thats enough time to plan and go right?

6. If there is anything else I left out the you may think of. Please let me know.

Thank you!

Default Lots of Solo Travelers herein

Quote Originally Posted by Gondo View Post
    To kick it off I want to take a road trip from Maryland to Cali.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Sounds like a fun adventure you are about to embark upon.
    1. I am a single woman in her 30's, I can go alone or with other likeminded wanderlust folks, how would you recommend I safely find those folks?
    There are some rider boards accessible from this link. But solo road trip adventuring is pretty great. Here are some tips and ideas for that:
    An intro to the world of soloing
    A report from a woman upon her return from her first solo trip
    Judy's tips for solo travel
    Camping and solo road trips
    2. Its about the journey not the destination. When I get to Cali I get there, so whats the best way to save money?
    Here are some tips for bugeting.
    3. If I do go alone, what things should a single, black woman need to know? I do believe that I only meet great people, and that' s my intention, so anything that's just to keep me comfortable and in a safe state of mind would be appreciated.
    Some safety tips for being out there.
    5. My timeline is late March after the spring break madness, thats enough time to plan and go right?
    I can and often hit the road, without planning more than 24 hours or so...

Mark

3. Default Thanks For Your Reply

I'm going to check out all the links you provided. I'm definitlely going, and am happy to do so solo. Thanks for the great advice. And I will definitely post for other travellers who may be interested in sharing the ride and experience.

Thanks again!
    Gondo.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default For a Trip Back...Go 66

To get a good taste of old Americana, take Route 66 some of the way.

You can pick it up in St. Louis. Through Missouri and to OKC it runs alongside I-44. FRom OKC on to California it runs alongside I-40.

Seen any Blue Whales or half-buried Cadillacs?

5. Default Blue whales?

I 'm starting to plan the trip, so I'll build that in .....thanks for the tips.

What are blue whales or half buried cadillacs? I feel like I have seen or heard about this on the Travel Channel.

Default Roadside Oddities

Route 66 is famous for them. That's a big part of the fun! Check 'em out!

The Blue Whale

Cadillac Ranch

And it's not just Caddies anymore....
    Texas "Bug" Ranch