1. Default Revised Road Trip 08

Alright this is my first time posting on this forum and I am hoping someone can help me. I was trying to plan a road trip for me and some friends ages range from 19 to 21, from Miami out to Cali this summer prob going to take 2 or 3 weeks off depending. At first everybody seemed ready to do it and then they started to become unsure about going. So right know I am trying to get some facts so I can re-inspire them and regain the hype. Basically I would like to know the fastest way to Cali and how long will it take, and since we would probably do sight seeing on the way back whats the best route coming back for sight seeing and what are some of the best stops to check out. We are probably going to spend a majority of time in Cali surfing and checking out the sites, but which one are the best and more memorable to go to.

Also while traveling up we are going to rotate drivers around since there might be around 5 of us. would it be easier to stop at a truck stop and sleep in the vehicle or stop off at a hotel. Also what things should we bring to keep us occupied while driving and what are some helpful items to bring on a road trip that just wont take up space. Next thing which I am not to sure about is bringing something to protect yourself in a bad situation such as a knife, or a gun what are the laws about them while on road trips?
    Thanks for any help and please do contribute anything else everything would be helpful.

Default common sense

Welcome to the RTA Forum!
    At first everybody seemed ready to do it and then they started to become unsure about going. So right know I am trying to get some facts so I can re-inspire them and regain the hype.
    Roadtrips can be a lot of fun, but if you have to be twisting arms to make this happen, I think its unlikely that all of you would be on the same page. No matter who you end up going with, check out the roadtrip compatibility quiz to make sure everyone ends up with the trip they are bargaining for.

Basically I would like to know the fastest way to Cali and how long will it take,
    The fastest route would simply be the FL Turnpike/I-75 to Northern Florida, and then I-10 all the way across. Its a little over 2700 miles, which would be about a 5 day trip.
    Also while traveling up we are going to rotate drivers around since there might be around 5 of us. would it be easier to stop at a truck stop and sleep in the vehicle or stop off at a hotel.
    We get questions like this a lot, and my reaction is always the same. How do you expect to have 5 people comfortably sleep inside any car? As far as I can tell in the best case you all end up getting far less sleep than you should, and in the likely situation, you'd all end up wanting to kill each other by the 3rd day.

Next thing which I am not to sure about is bringing something to protect yourself in a bad situation such as a knife, or a gun what are the laws about them while on road trips?
    Carrying weapons is generally a really bad idea. As far as guns go, you'll most likely end up in jail if you are caught with one, since carrying a gun without a permit is generally illegal. More importantly, do you carry these items with you on a daily basis? If not, what are you expecting to do that would cause you to need one during a roadtrip? Using common sense should prevent you from needing any sort of weapon 99% of the time.

3. Default Thanks

thanks for the answers so i guess we would prob be staying at hotels or try camping some of those nights and packing up the next morning. As far as the weapons go I do have a permit, but i just don't want to be caught in a situation unprepared but i guess i'll make it a group decision. Also does anybody have ideas on where to stop in Cali that are must see places. Also about the coming back from Cali what are the best sight seeing routes like stopping off and seeing Yellowstone, grand canyon, etc. and any advice on things to keep us occupied?
    Iam just trying to get information to show to my friends i think the main reason they were hesitant was because we didn't have a real plan laid out.

Thanks

Default Unprepared for what?

Just a reminder that even if you have a permit for your firearm in Florida, it doesn't mean that you are permitted to carry your weapon in other states.

I'm not sure what you think you could be "unprepared" for, but I can pretty much promise that if you are ever in a situation on a roadtrip where you would even consider drawing a weapon, you must have made some pretty bad choices leading up to that point, and you might want to reconsider your next move before you reach for that weapon. Odds are, pulling a weapon will just cause you to sink even deeper into a really bad situation.

And this is coming from lifelong hunter who owns firearms, not someone with an all-encompassing fear of guns.

5. Default

Thanks and I guess it would better to leave it at home might as well enjoy the trip than to worry. any other suggestions ? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper05 View Post
    thanks for the answers so i guess we would prob be staying at hotels or try camping some of those nights and packing up the next morning. As far as the weapons go I do have a permit, but i just don't want to be caught in a situation unprepared but i guess i'll make it a group decision. Also does anybody have ideas on where to stop in Cali that are must see places. Also about the coming back from Cali what are the best sight seeing routes like stopping off and seeing Yellowstone, grand canyon, etc. and any advice on things to keep us occupied?
    Iam just trying to get information to show to my friends i think the main reason they were hesitant was because we didn't have a real plan laid out.

Thanks
    There is a wealth of things to see and do along the way. It all depends on your interests, your budget, and how much time you have to stop. If you can give us an idea of what types of things you all would like to see and do, we can give you better advice.

Believe me, as a woman who has road-tripped and camped solo, I have never needed a gun or a knife for protection. Although having a whistle can be a good idea. It makes noise to attract attention and should scare most anybody off. (Unless, like Michael said, you've made some really bad choices to get yourself into some extreme situation.)

It sounds like you need to do a bit of research. We can't give you all the answers. And planning is half the fun. You might start with a large US map and trace along the main routes to get to California and see what kind of national parks, cities, and other landmarks are along the way. See what jumps out at you. You might also go to the library and look at some guide books for ideas. And poke around these forums!! Collect some ideas and come back here with them.

Hope this sets you in the right direction.

7. Default Revised Road Trip 08

Well I did as I was suggested and talked to my friends about the Road Trip To California. Everybody agrees that it is a great idea and that we should definitely go on a road trip but the thing everyone is divided on is where to go. Some people are all for California as long as we set a date so we can take time off work. While the others believe California is to long of a road trip. And also some of them only get 2 or 3 weeks off before they take summer classes. Someone suggested a trip from Miami around Florida maybe go up the theme parks for a couple of days and then head back to Miami to the beaches.
    Not really much of a road trip. So I was hoping if someone can suggest any places that are close by that we can take a road trip to, preferably outside of Florida. Next time we meet up I might try suggesting taking a trip out to St. Petersburg / Madeira Beach to do some camping if there up for it.

Thanks

Default Its not the size

Some of the best road trips I've ever taken only have kept me within 100 miles or so from home, so I just can't agree that staying within a state the size of Florida "wouldn't be much of a roadtrip" In alot of ways, considering just how diverse that state is, it could make for an incredible trip.

Going out to California is a great idea, if everyone is on board, but if people can't afford that huge of a trip, either because of money or time, then you need to decide if going to the West Coast is important enough to go with just a couple people, or if spending time with all of your friends is most important, then you'll probably be limited to what those who want the smallest trip are willing to do.

If you decide you want to stick with a small trip, but want to at least leave the state, here's a field report with some ideas from other nearby states.

9. Default Road Trip Cancelled

Well It looks like things fell apart even before we could really get in depth about planning for a summer road trip. Seems 2 of the people went ahead and made plans to go on vacation with there family leaving 3 people including me. And just recently found out I might have to take summer classes. So I'll just talk to some friends when we go to a concert in April about what they want to do this summer.

Default Go Alone!

Why don't you do an all Florida trip by yourself? That way you can do what you want, when you want and schedule it around your classes. I've done one large (4,100) mile trip by myself and many day trips around Louisiana, Texas and Arkansas by myself. I agree with Michael that some of the best roadtrips are those in your own backyard. There is a familiarity with the area, yet it's new to you.

Just think about it. You may be surprised about what is in Florida that you've never seen. I know that after 29 years in Louisiana, I am still finding places less than 100 miles away that I've never seen or explored properly.

Laura