1. Default dc to oregon best route in march

im heading out west in the beginning of march.....i was wondering what the best route would be....i'm worried about the northern route due to weather....is it bad this time of year....i have time...please help me yall....
    ed

Default same old

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

We get this kind of question alot, and the answer is always the same. There is no way of knowing what the weather will be until just before you are on the road. There is also no perfect cross country route that can avoid winter weather in the United States.

Your best bet will probably be I-80, but if forecast looks bad for your travel time, you could look at using I-70 to Utah or even I-90 across Montana. I wouldn't bother even looking farther south because not only could you hit bad weather, but with the hundreds of extra miles, you'd be better off just waiting out any bad weather you might come across.

3. Default not the same old for me

thanx for the tip.....i know the weather is unpredictable....having never driven across the country (at this time of year) i didnt know where to start looking for advise.......soooo.....thanx for the welcome...
    ed

Default Weather 101-a

Quote Originally Posted by edrocker View Post
    thanx for the tip.....i know the weather is unpredictable....having never driven across the country (at this time of year) i didnt know where to start looking for advise
    Here is Winter Travel 101 -- Generally, you will find the "better" weather the farther NORTH you go. Most of the really bad ice storms occur where artic winds (cold air masses) slam into warm Gulf of Mexico moisture -- That warm moist air often pushes as far north as New Mexico, Colorado & Kansas. If you move eastward there is often an equally wet air mass rushing down from the Great Lakes and so you can get cold, wet snow smashing into to warm air -- Not as good. Which is why we always counsel -- don't make any decision for routes more than 24 hours in advance and go the shortest route....

Mark