1. Default Montana to California

Edited, should say from Montana to California as I should be able to get to Montana fine!

Hi there,

I've been thinking about taking a roadtrip from Calgary to the Malibu area in California and really hate mountain roads.

Does anyone know of a route with the least frightening roads? I've mapped a few out but they don't say how scary the roads are :)

I'd much prefer to fly but couldn't be apart from my dog for a few weeks so I guess driving is the only option to bring him with me. I've heard too many pets in cargo horror stories.

Thanks!
    Last edited by kalista; 02-10-2008 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Changing start city

Default frightening?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I've never come across a frightening road myself, so I'm not sure what they look like.

That said, if you are sticking to the Interstates, you shouldn't have any problems. Freeways are built to make slopes and curves about as mild as possible.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I've never come across a frightening road myself, so I'm not sure what they look like.

That said, if you are sticking to the Interstates, you shouldn't have any problems. Freeways are built to make slopes and curves about as mild as possible.
    :)

Thanks for the welcome!

I guess what I mean is for example driving thru the Rockies in Alberta is a nice drive, roads typically are at the 'bottom' of the mountains. But once you hit the BC border Kicking Horse Pass/Golden/Revelstoke, you are driving thousands of feet up on the side of the mountain. Yes it is beautiful but it scares the bejesus out of me.

I don't know which types of mountain roads I might encounter going to Cali and if they are driving on the sides of mountains it might make me change my mind on taking the trip. That advise would be great.

Thanks again!

Default Wild Ride

Normally, when engineers and surveyors are laying the path that a road will take, they try to make it as easy and cost effective to build and as easy to drive as possible. Sometimes these different goals conflict. For example, when building a road over a mountain chain, the builders usually stay in the valleys (the "bottoms" of the mountains) because that's where it's flat and requires the least grade (elevation change) to do what they want. Kicking Horse Pass is an exception in that the pass is so high and the descent so steep on the west side, that rather than just stay down in the Illecillewaet Valley as it drops steeply towards Revelstoke, the road descends less abruptly, staying fairly high up on the valley wall to the south side. If you're driving this road east to west, the result is the moderate grade the engineers wanted, and truck drivers need, but also a steep drop-off to your right. I find it a great road, but can see where others might find it too much of an A ticket ride.

In any event, Michael is right that Interstate highways are built to more stringent standards and are, in any event wider. So, since the shortest route from Calgary to Malibu does not go through Kicking Horse Pass, the simple answer is use that instead. In this case, you'd head south from Calgary on AB-2 and AB-4, through Lethbridge to enter the U.S. in northern Montana and get on I-15 which will take you all the way down to the Los Angeles basin. Once there, I-10 and CA-1 will take you into Malibu. That's still a great scenic route, but with nothing as nerve rattling as Kicking Horse.

AZBuck