Cassidy Guest

Default S. Florida to Northern California!!!!!!!

From South Florida to Northern California.

In August I am moving from Florida to Northern California. Not San Francisco, real Northern California, about 5.5 hours north of San Francisco. After deciding to drive out there, I figured I may as well turn it into a mini road trip since I am already crossing the country. This idea came to me after I google mapped the fastest route which goes straight across Texas, and decided that I have never been to Texas, and my first time was NOT going to be driving across it. I hear that is the WORST drive EVER! Plus it will be August and SO hot.

My best friend and I will just have graduated college, and since I am already moving out there, I figured it would be good to make a little ‘graduation’ fun trip out of it. The problem with such a distance is all the options routes to take and all the awesome things to see on the way and which ones to pick over others.

I don’t want this trip to take more than a week, (since i am going to Alaska probably right afterwards, i am out of control, i know!) and the route I have just began to look at is…

Orlando—Atlanta—Nashville—St. Louis—Kansas City—Denver—Through Utah (arches state park maybe)—Las Vegas—Through Death Valley—Through Yosemite—San Francisco—To Arcata, California.

Although there seems to be a lot of awesome things to see if I went the Arizona, New Mexico route, and I know the desert is beautiful, but I am a Florida girl, and the deserts don’t really do it for me. I was considering the other route because, I am a Florida girl, and the Mountains still mesmerize me with their beauty, plus green scenery can be more fun then brown in my opinion.

This is not a set route though, it is just the current one I was thinking of, My trip just needs to start in Orlando, Fl. And end in Arcata, CA. Without driving through Texas, and making sure we drive through San Francisco, my friend hasn’t been to the west coast yet and the Golden Gate is a must. and i havent ever been to new orleans before, i dont know if its going to be anything like before after katrina.. but maybe that is more a week long experience, not a drive by.

We do not have a ton of money, but have places to stay most all over the country, are cool with packing a tent if thats where the route takes us, and will definitely be cool with throwing down for a hotel.

We are interested in seeing as much as we can of the country and the most beautiful things this trip could offer. The most scenic route would be appreciated since we probably will not take whole days to go walk around national parks everyday, even though I really would like to do Yosemite.

so...
    1) looking for a route from Orlando Florida to Arcata California

2) do NOT want to drive through texas

3) DO want to drive through San Francisco

4) want to see the best sites in the shortest amount of time

.... i think that is everything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated route, tourist sites, or just great scenic areas we could drive through, She is a photo major, so i think this will be awesome!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-08-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: removed the extra white spaces

Default contradictions

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Some of your criteria are a bit condradictory, so you won't be able to get "everything" you are looking for, but you still should have a pretty good time.

The shortest/fastest route does go through Texas, and it doesn't go through San Francisco, even though there is plenty to see on the route. I also think your perceptions of Texas and the desert aren't really grounded in reality, but that's another subject.

Your basic route is fine, although I wouldn't go all the way down to Las Vegas. That detour would add 200 miles to your trip, and considering your distaste for the desert (which you can't avoid, regardless) and the "heat" of texas it seems kind of foolish that you would add both Las Vegas and Death Valley to your trip. It would make more sense to take I-80 across Nevada and into SF, or if you have time for Yosemite, take US-50 across Nevada.

Default Attitude Adjustment Suggested

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    In August I am moving from Florida to Northern California.
    Nobody I know would consider San Francisco to be northern California -- Central California is much more like it. In any case, Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I hear that is the WORST drive EVER! Plus it will be August and SO hot.
    Texas is a very cool place to road trip -- one of contributing writers has proof-positive of that and in any case, it seems unwise to judge an entire state on the mis-information you have gathered from "friends".
    I don’t want this trip to take more than a week,
    In that case, you don't have much for sightseeing off the main highway. It will take five full days, driving 8-10 hours per day to reach your destination!
    Orlando—Atlanta—Nashville—St. Louis—Kansas City—Denver—Through Utah (arches state park maybe)—Las Vegas—Through Death Valley—Through Yosemite—San Francisco—To Arcata, California.
    You can not drive to all of these places in a week's time -- unless you are not planning to sleep more than 4-5 hours each night. If you really want to reach Arcata in a week's time, you need to cut out Colorado and Utah and stick to I-40 to I-5 to CA-299 and over to Arcata.
    This is not a set route though, it is just the current one I was thinking of, My trip just needs to start in Orlando, Fl. And end in Arcata, CA. Without driving through Texas, and making sure we drive through San Francisco, my friend hasn’t been to the west coast yet and the Golden Gate is a must
    If the Golden Gate is a must, you can add Las Vegas and San Francisco, and probably Death Valley, but you will need to cut Yosemite NP.

You are going to have an awesome adventure -- but you need to cut several hundred miles or will not reach Arcata in a week.

Mark

Cassidy Guest

how long do you think that would all take?
    and yes, i was hoping to find scenic routes or cool things near the highway, i am not trying to venture too far off the beaten path.

Its not that i am completely against desert, death valley is suppose to be cool, and I can stand heat, I was just thinking the whole drive across texas would seem never ending and from my poor understanding, pretty uneventful, but maybe it could be cool, (i was intrigued by all the national parks and topography of utah and colorado, plus, i just love colorado). I was thinking vegas cause it seems like it could be a fun drive through, look at all the funny stuff and have a burger type of place.

you seemed shocked, but i guess i was too, at how many people think san fran is norcal. people from their actually say they are from norcal, but i think its just the socal vs norcal thing that they have going on. I guess since there are no main cities north of it some people dont realize there is so much more up there. either way i am excited to move back!!!

but thats why i signed up to this website so early! cause i am so excited to figure it out and go go go!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-08-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Default A lifetime to do it well!

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    how long do you think that would all take?
    Six weeks minimum, but you could easily spend twice that amount of time.
    and yes, i was hoping to find scenic routes or cool things near the highway, i am not trying to venture too far off the beaten path.
    If you do go the Colorado and Utah route - here are two articles you ought to read:

Viewpoints Along I-70
    Just Slightly off the road along I-70
    Its not that i am completely against desert, death valley is suppose to be cool,
    I have been in all of the USA national parks and DV is still my favorite park.
    have a burger type of place.
    Hmmm, not sure what this means -- but if you are looking for a fine hamburger along I-70 -- Ray's Tavern is hard to beat. In Las Vegas -- best deal on a hamburger is either the 4-Mile Bar or the Dispensary.

Mark

Default Another thumbs-up for Ray's

Hmmm, not sure what this means -- but if you are looking for a fine hamburger along I-70 -- Ray's Tavern is hard to beat.
    My Dad and I hit Ray's after a three-day backpacking trip in Grand Gulch. It was like Heaven.

--Jon