1. Default "Happy Camper" ???

Aloha ~
    My family and I are planning a road trip in late summer early fall. I am wondering about "happy camper". If anyone has their own reviews about it. And I guess while I am already posting...My family and I are coming from Hawaii to the mainland I will be traveling with five kids does anyone have suggestions on "DONT MISS" kinda things for the kids. We will be leaving from northern California then up to yellowstone and across the US from there ( niagara falls, DC) then down through Tennesee into New Orleans then over to Grand Canyon....................Thanks So much............Stacey

Default One of the Recommended Services

Quote Originally Posted by stellafaye View Post
    My family and I are planning a road trip in late summer early fall.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! We know the owners of the "Happy Camper" association and have always found them to be excellent and responsible. I am guessing you saw our page about the service?
    I will be traveling with five kids does anyone have suggestions on "DONT MISS" kinda things for the kids.
    Here are some tips about planning family road trip holidays.
    We will be leaving from northern California then up to yellowstone and across the US from there ( niagara falls, DC) then down through Tennesee into New Orleans then over to Grand Canyon....................
    How long have you projected for this adventure?

Mark
    Last edited by Mass Tim; 02-09-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: missing tag

3. Default Some more questions

(We have)...about 6-7 weeks we are not on a tight schedule and can make adjustments as needed.

About Happy Camper ...are there any problems finding campsites that accept Happy camper........and was it worth getting as far as how much money you saved on camping??...Sorry I am just really new to this and dont want buy something that may not be helpful.....but it does seem to be worth it ..I just like to hear from those who already have experience with it so I dont feel so uneducated :)

In Mark's post above, you asked how long we had planned for this trip...do you think 6-7 weeks is enough time for this length of a trip. MY husband I did a road trip 18 years ago and we could put in 12 hours of driving...but with the kids i think we really dont want to be on the road for more than 6-8 hours. I would really appreciate any advice....Im trying to get prepared but feel like I am starting this as a beginner...
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-10-2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: more tidy...

Default The Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stellafaye View Post
    About Happy Camper ...are there any problems finding campsites that accept Happy camper.
    A part of your membership is the directory that lists the places that accept that card. As far as it being worth it -- it really depends how you feel about reservations and how long you will be on the road. The association with the largest number of accepting RV parks would be the Good Sam Card. The discount is ~ 10%, but just about every private (non governmental) park accepts it. I have had a Good Sam Club membership for nearly 20 years....

Personally, I would suggest that you not purchase the card as you will probably be spending most of your nights in county, state and federal parks and no discount card works there. You may well go to some of the private parks -- but I wouldn't bother with the discount program as your trip is too short to make much of an impact.

On the other hand, I see that the HC club is offering a money-back guarantee:
    We are so confident you can save the cost of membership on your first vacation, that we give you
    a full NINETY DAYS to try it and love it, OR YOUR MONEY BACK. Period.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-10-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added color to emphasize the italics

5. Default

I really appreciate your advice ...thank you !!