1. Default Winter Road Trip to Canada (First Road Trip Ever!)

Hi everyone!

I am planning a "mini" road trip to Toronto from Delaware and I was just wondering if anyone had any travel tips on the best way to get there, like which roads I should avoid (if any) in bad weather, good rest stops, some key items I should pack or anything else you can think of :)

This is my first road trip and I'm really really excited! Thanks for your help and I look forward to hearing from you! :)

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

About how much time do you have for this "mini" trip? From Toronto to Wilmington, DE is easily accomplished in a single day, so you certainly have plenty of time available to you.

The most likely area to encounter bad weather along this route would be near Buffalo.

3. Default

Thanks for the welcome!

I am leaving Thursday evening after work so I should arrive in Toronoto hopefully by late Thursday/early Friday morning. I'll be leaving Toronto on Sunday so I think I'll have enough time too

Thanks for the travel advice, it is very much appreciated!

You should have plenty of time to do this trip. I traveled to visit a friend at college in Rochester so I know the better part of this route fairly well, depending on if you choose to go through NY state or PA. Either way heading west in PA there are no major towns or cities so you won't hit traffic. if you go west in NY watch for random snow squalls. I did this trip in November of 04 and even though it was a clear night everywhere else, I got to a top of a hill on the Thruway and there was a random snow squall with decent precipitation. That's the type of stuff you have to watch out for, especially at night when cloud cover is sometimes hard to judge.

Tucson, AZ

Default Two Possibilities

I love that drive As a former resident of both northern Delaware and the Finger Lakes region of New York, I've made that trip on any of a dozen different roads. So here's what I'd suggest for a first timer. If the weather is going to be bad, you'll want to stay on the Interstates, both because they are the best maintained roads during a storm and because they have the most services along them, including motels should conditions get to the point where you'd like to take a break to let the road crews catch up to the snow. That route would be up the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, then I-81 north from Scranton to Syracuse and I-90 west to Buffalo, I-190 will take you up to Niagara Falls and the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) will take you the rest of the way around Lake Ontario to Toronto.

Now if the weather is good and you have a little extra time, then start out by heading to Harrisburg on DE/PA-41, US-30, and PA-283, then head north up the Susquehanna River valley on Us-11 and then US-15 into southern New York. From there, I-86/I-890/I-90 will get you to Buffalo. Going this way takes you not only up the Susquehanna, but takes you near enough to Watkins Glen and Letchworth State Parks in New York, both of which are worth visits if you have the time, but that would mean taking a day and a half to two days to get to Toronto.

6. Default Thanks so much!

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. Unfortunately,I was unable to make this trip last year because my car died the month before!

I am re-planning for this October so hopefully all will go well this time :)

Thanks again for the great information about the travel routes AZ!

7. Default Hawk's Nest, Port Jervis NY

Has anyone every driven through the Hawk's Nest area in Port Jervis, NY?

I was doing some browsing and came upon it and it looks beautiful. I was just wondering if anyone had every been?