Default Planning a road trip to az in the summer

I am planning a roadtrip to Tombstone, AZ from long island, NY in the summer and i need help.
    This will be my first road trip. I also want to stop in Houston, Tx on my way home.
    I would like to know good places to stop, fun towns and the such. Thanks.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Some of the questions we normally ask of first-time road trippers would be appropriate here:

How much time do you have? Keep in mind that this is roughly a five day trip, one-way.

What are the types of things that you are in to? There are a lot of great cities and towns in between your departure point and your destination - St. Louis, Nashville, Memphis, Cincinnati, Albuquerque, etc.

Default definitions

Welcome to the RTA forum!

You've really got about 80% of the country to work with, so you can really see anything you want. Start by narrowing things down. How long do you have for your trip? Who is going? How much money do you have to work with? Other than Houston, what things do you really want to see? What makes a place or town "fun" to you?

i am into national parks,most everything.
    i have 2 weeks. or 2 and a half weeks.

I would have a rented car. It would be me(20) and my cousin(15). We would have about 2K-2500. We want to go to the grand canyon. And we are mainly going to Houston for a funeral home museum. So any other info about houston would be cool. i have a place to stay in houston. But i was wondering if there are any really good amusement parks in the south?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-08-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Default Some of the Arizona National Monuments

Quote Originally Posted by hskee77 View Post
    i am into national parks,most everything.
    Here is a great article about some of the less visited parks in southern Arizona. Here is our coverage of Tombstone. Here is an article about Bisbee -- it is pretty cool.

One of the most amazing places to stay in the area is the Shady Dell "motel" in Bisbee -- here is a great field report from Gerald Thurman.

UKCraig filed a report about Houston here. And you have to eat at Taste of Texas!

Mark

Default rental, really?

How much have you looked into your rental car options? There are almost no companies that will rent a car to someone under 21 years old. The exceptions are usually small local companies, that will add a fairly huge surcharge for your age and will not allow you to travel across the country.

As far as amusment parks go, I think you'd have to look into the original Six Flags in Texas.

Default If I could read.....

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    There are almost no companies that will rent a car to someone under 21 years old.
    Good catch Michael, I missed that point. Yes, you will have major difficulty in finding any commercial rental firm that will rent you a car if you are under 21 and actually, reasonable rates are not available unless you are over 24 years old.

Mark

8. Default

Nasa Space Center is a frequent tourist spot (if you like space ships).

Houston doesn't have a theme park since they shut down Astroworld. Six Flags Dallas is a typical Six Flags park. Six Flags San Antonio looks nice on the commercials but I haven't been there. San Antonio is on the Houston -> AZ route. New Braunfels is fun - rafting down the Guadalupe river or Schlitterbahn Waterparks. It's only about 45min N of San Antonio so not tooo far off route.