Default banff loop sept/oct

hi all, as some of you may know we completed our first trip to the states last year with our son and fiance.we visited the southwest u.s.a including yosemite/zion/bryce/g.canyon and so on and loved it.
    now my son and his wife to be want to return for there honeymoon,but possibly explore another area of natural outstanding beauty,canada and banff/jasper are good possibilitys[somewhere i've also wanted to go].

it will be a 2 week visit and at the end of sept beginning of october and this is a possible route.
    calgary>banff>lake louise>jasper>kamloops>revelstoke>glacier>then either through yoho or down to radium hot springs and then back to banff via kootenay and onto calgary for the flight home.

any comments or help will be much appreciated.
    1]at this time of year is there a high possibility of closures,adverse weather conditions that would affect the main route.
    2] other than cold what sort of weather is to be expected,is it a wet month or dry and crispy typically[or other]
    3]are the roads fairly well maintained and easy to drive.
    4]any other info on this area,places to visit/must see's etc please let me know.also is there any snow boarding done this time of year[that ones for the boy,not sure what his fiance will think,lol!]
    i guess a little bit of re assurance that it won't dissapoint after our other visit would be handy as well, thanks.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-08-2008 at 09:04 AM. Reason: added a link to Gommy's excellent travel report

Default Can't Go Wrong

I've been through that region a couple of times, and you are certainly in for a treat. The last time I was there was in the early Spring, so the weather should be comparable to what you can expect - cool to 'bracing' - but that will just let you know that you're in the Canadian Rockies and will help keep the bugs and tourists away. You've got a pretty good itinerary set out, but I wouldn't count on snow. Certainly the roads are well maintained and I think the only possibility for closure might be on the Trans Canada over the passes between Lake Louise, AB and Golden, BC. But even then it would be for a day at most. Two bits I would recommend. The first is to plan to have lunch (a much more moderately priced meal) at the Fairmont on Lake Louise and just enjoy the view and the elegance. The second is to make a point of using one of the ferries, say across Kootenay Lake, just to enjoy something different. I've done both a 3 day and a 10 day visit to this area and loved both, Two weeks is a luxury.

AZBuck

thanks a.z.
    they are great links and i think a lunch at the fairmont is very fitting,especially as they named the lake after the bride to be, ha!ha! i think those ferry trips look cool and will be recommending one.
    if anyone has thoughts on going through yoho or going the long way round to radium hot springs and then through kootenay,i would like to know,is it worth the extra miles or is yoho to good to miss?
    also,does anyone know of a nice place to stop between jasper and kamloops,could be just for lunch or maybe for the night,any "local secrets" to stumble upon?

thanks!

Default Hot Springs

Gommy,

If you like hot springs -- I would suggest the natural springs up the hill behind the resort at Fairmont Hot Springs. Plus, as you can see in this link, there is a "natural" hot waterfall (it is actually the discharge line from the resort pools -- but it is still clean water). By the way, the water from the waterfall is so strong that one can barely stand under it. If you have a RV this time -- the RV park is really nice!
    if anyone has thoughts on going through yoho or going the long way round to radium hot springs and then through kootenay,i would like to know,is it worth the extra miles or is yoho to good to miss?
    I have traveled all of those roads and all of the national parks are gorgeous -- for my money I would drive as much of Hwy-93 as you can -- north and south. I also loved driving along the lakes near Nelson -- Nelson has a counter-cultural feel to it -- almost hippy like. The Grizzly Paw Pub in Canmore is a must-stop-for-grub place.

Mark

5. Default Which route are you taking? Trans can?

Quote Originally Posted by gommy View Post
    thanks a.z.
    also,does anyone know of a nice place to stop between jasper and kamloops,could be just for lunch or maybe for the night,any "local secrets" to stumble upon?!
    If you're taking the TransCan from Lake Louise to Kamloops, a couple of places of interest might be..

Heather Mountain Lodge (link) which I had recommended to me as a place to stay. They're right off the TransCanada about 20 miles or so west of Golden and before Rogers Pass. Pretty area. Food was supposed to be very good, and a very nice place. But unforunately, they were opening for the summer about 10 days after I went through...

The Rogers Pass Visitors Center is fairly nice -- smallish, but nice, with a very good display on the "Snow Wars" that took place there to try to keep the railway clear of snow in in winter. After a couple of hundred deaths trying to keep the line clear, they ended up boring a very long railway tunnel through the mountains to avoid the worst of the snow...

There's a nice, short hike (and a nice place for a picnic stop) at the Giant Cedars Trail area west of Rogers Pass in Revelstoke National Park. Short trail, only abut 2 km (1.2 miles) long. Very scenic, and right off the road. The friendly young ladies at the visitors kiosk sold us a 3 day Canadian National Parks pass as we were heading to Lake Louise the next day -- saved us a bit of money there.

If you have the time, you can drive up into Revelstoke Naitonal Park, drive about 16 miles up the "Meadows in the Sky Parkway", and then walk the last 1.5 mies or so to the summit of Mt. Revelstoke. Supposed to be spectacular... but we were rushed on time... *sigh*

There are a couple of other interesting places west of Kamloops around Cache Creek, but I think that's a bit west for your trip.

Default Thanks for the ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Gommy,

If you like hot springs -- I would suggest the natural springs up the hill behind the resort at Fairmont Hot Springs. Plus, as you can see in this link, there is a "natural" hot waterfall (it is actually the discharge line from the resort pools -- but it is still clean water). By the way, the water from the waterfall is so strong that one can barely stand under it. If you have a RV this time -- the RV park is really nice!
    I have traveled all of those roads and all of the national parks are gorgeous -- for my money I would drive as much of Hwy-93 as you can -- north and south. I also loved driving along the lakes near Nelson -- Nelson has a counter-cultural feel to it -- almost hippy like. The Grizzly Paw Pub in Canmore is a must-stop-for-grub place.

Mark
    thanks for the link and info mark,that waterfall sure does look inviting,and will definately be recommending a stop at the "grizzly".
    not sure if it's an r.v or not yet and thoughts are spending a fair bit of time exploring hwy-93 from banff all the way to jasper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
    If you're taking the TransCan from Lake Louise to Kamloops, a couple of places of interest might be..
    hi larrison,thanks for the tips.
    at the moment the possible route will be banff to jasper on hwy-93 and then across moose lake on the yellowhead highway [16 i think]and then down hwy-5 to kamloops then onto the TransCan to golden,which will take us through the places you suggested. i like the look of that lodge and hopefully there will be time for that hike up to the summit of mt revelstoke,it sounds great! thanks again.

advice on how to do a multi qoute post anyone? cheers
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-09-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: requested by member

Default Copy and paste

Quote Originally Posted by gommy View Post
    advice on how to do a multi qoute post anyone? cheers
    It is a simple matter of copying the text of the quote, posting it into the reply box, highlighted the copied text with the quote tool (in the tool bar directly above this box - you used it before in your last two posts) -- Make your response and copy and post the next quote in and so forth.

Mark

Default quick update

well the happy couple have booked a fly drive holiday with pre booked accomodation and will spend 10 nights there. what with the expense of the wedding and a very good deal they found,this seemed to be the way to go.
    it goes like this
    1st night in calgarry
    2nd and 3rd at lake louise
    4,5,6 and 7 in jasper
    8,9 and 10 in banff.
    so it looks a nice relaxing itenary without to much driving[not something you want to be doing on your honeymoon,nudge,nudge].
    they are also thinking of arriving in jasper a day later and possibly paying for a nights accomodation on a side trip to mt revelstoke and glacier n.p's.
    i think most of it will take care of itself thanks to some good advice on here but any other suggestions most welcome,especially for trips,things to see around jasper as they will have 3 full days there to get out and about.
    thankyou, dave.
    [oh,and thanks mark]

is food,fuel costs etc comparable to the u.s.a?
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-10-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: another question